families vs plain 1Password

Options
lcorsini
lcorsini
Community Member

I'm wondering what the release of family subscription plans means to the plain 1Password
As I said in another post my need is a solid syncing solution for myself, atm 1P satisfies my requirement by using the apps and dropbox.
After the release of families you still plan to maintain and update the bought apps and maintain the old sync methods (file dropbox etc)?
or they will be phased out in favor of a full subscription model?
Do you plan to include a browser extension (like lastpass) to access the families/team vaults even on unsupported platforms?(read linux)
Do you plan to have other subscription options? (I don't need sharing, I only need sync on every platform via app or extension, so $5/month it's a bit too pricey for me )

Thanks

Luca

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

I can't answer a lot of these but I do know a browser extension was added to a long list of features they want to put in place. The data is already in the cloud they just need to grab it.

I also think they mentioned when everything(Teams) all started that they plan to keep both versions active. Meaning they will support both syncing options.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lcorsini!

Thanks for taking the time to ask your questions! Let's take them on at a time :)

After the release of families you still plan to maintain and update the bought apps and maintain the old sync methods (file dropbox etc)? or they will be phased out in favor of a full subscription model?

1Password as you know it isn't going away! We're just offering more now to help even more people be secure :)

Do you plan to include a browser extension (like lastpass) to access the families/team vaults even on unsupported platforms?(read linux)

1Password Families is accessible on web browsers in Linux currently, but there is no browser extension at this time. Maybe in the future!

Do you plan to have other subscription options? (I don't need sharing, I only need sync on every platform via app or extension, so $5/month it's a bit too pricey for me )

We're not planning on offering a sync-only service. We don't often say "never", so you never know, but I think it's probably unlikely that we'll take that approach.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to ask your questions! Let's take them on at a time :)

After the release of families you still plan to maintain and update the bought apps and maintain the old sync methods (file dropbox etc)? or they will be phased out in favor of a full subscription model?

1Password as you know it isn't going away! We're just offering more now to help even more people be secure :)

That's good to hear, I know you probably can't discuss future releases, but I could expect new versions coming supported by my licence?

1Password Families is accessible on web browsers in Linux currently, but there is no browser extension at this time. Maybe in the future!

That's good, as I said in another thread here a cross platform manager is the thing that lured me to lastpass (sorry for speaking about competitors, but it's something good that they do) the first time, switching back to 1P it's something I need.
    A chrome App (like Authy) maybe based on an updated 1PAnywhere could also be interesting, but an extension that makes me able to use autofill, save a new login etc etc is better.

We're not planning on offering a sync-only service. We don't often say "never", so you never know, but I think it's probably unlikely that we'll take that approach.

I hope you could change your mind on that, people that won't need constant sharing could be interested in a sync only service (your main competitor in this area, still lastpass, does this for 12$/year)

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Right now thanks for your time clearing my doubts on the new service, I'll stick with dropbox-sync for the time being, not perfect but functional at the moment, and see what more you have in store for us

Cheers.

Luca.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello again @lcorsini :)

I know you probably can't discuss future releases, but I could expect new versions coming supported by my licence?

1Password 6 for Android, iOS, and Mac will have free updates at least until we move on to a new major version. :)

A chrome App (like Authy) maybe based on an updated 1PAnywhere could also be interesting, but an extension that makes me able to use autofill, save a new login etc etc is better.

Gotcha. Thanks for letting us know :)

I hope you could change your mind on that, people that won't need constant sharing could be interested in a sync only service (your main competitor in this area, still lastpass, does this for 12$/year)

Noted! You never know what we might do next, but no promises ;)

Thanks so much for your input, Luca!

This discussion has been closed.