GUI Suggestion for Family Members tab in the Admin Console

Options
jebr
jebr
Community Member

Hello

Just a couple of minor suggestions that I think would help people.

1) Under the >Admin Console >Family Members, I think it would be helpful to have a column that shows if a user is an "Owner" or regular memeber.

2) When you select a non owner (what is the correct term for these people?) and click >Vaults >Manage Access, you are able to select and un-select access to the "Shared" Vault. I believe that having this ticked or not makes no difference as all team members have read/write on the "Shared"vault? If this is true maybe the Shared Vault could be greyed out and ticked to reflect this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yeah, this is a weird UI inconsistency, but it actually seems that assigning another user to the Shared "Everyone" vault actually gives them "Full Access" whereas if you haven't specifically granted access, they get "Read, Write & Manage" — the difference may seem subtle, but I know that at one point at least there was a bug that prevented items from being shared/moved/copied from the Shared vault with the default access that was being granted, although that bug may have finally been fixed.

See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/281852 for more details on that particular issue.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @jebr,

1) Under the >Admin Console >Family Members, I think it would be helpful to have a column that shows if a user is an "Owner" or regular member.

What a great idea! I've passed that feedback on to our development team :)

When you select a non owner (what is the correct term for these people?)

We call them Team members; a nod to 1Password Families' roots and acknowledgement that families (chosen or inherited) are often our most important teams :)

I believe that having this ticked or not makes no difference as all team members have read/write on the "Shared"vault?

All team members have read/write access to the Shared vault in the beginning, but Owners can remove them from the Shared vault if they want to.

And @jhollington,

I know that at one point at least there was a bug that prevented items from being shared/moved/copied from the Shared vault with the default access that was being granted, although that bug may have finally been fixed.

This hasn't been implemented quite yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it is, though!

Thanks to both of you! As always, please let us know if you have any more feedback :)

ref: b5-1112

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member
    Options

So does ticking / unticking the access to the Shared vault for a team member do anything?

• @jebr Of course. :) If you uncheck it for a specific member, they won't be able to access the Shared vault.

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think that is correct. The team member has access with it unticked. The description under the Vault also says "Items in this vault can be seen and editied by all members of ".

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's what I'm seeing too. With the moving permissions issue fixed, I now see that other members get "Read, Write, Export" and I (and other owners) get "Full Access" but removing and adding somebody has no effect (prior to the fix, adding someone changed "Read/Write/Manage" to "Full Access", but removing them just set it back — now it makes no difference at all).

As far as I had assumed, the only way to have a shared vault for a subset of your "Family" is to create another one and only add the selected members to that one, and that would line up with what I'm seeing in the Admin Console.

• @jebr @jhollington It does look like things are inconsistent there. I just tested things on my end and found the same result. I've filed an issue for our development team to take a look at so they can improve things. Thanks so much for letting us know about this. :)

ref: B5-1135

This discussion has been closed.