Unable to paste password copied from 1Password 6 into a Finder window

cooper.mac
cooper.mac
Community Member

I've been unable to paste a password copied from 1Password 6 mini into an El Capitan 10.11.3 Finder window requesting the password needed to open and mount a password-encrypted sparsebundle.dmg file. Command-V in the Finder window's password field yields a system alert sound only and "Paste" is greyed-out in the Edit menu. I thought I'd done this successfully before, but all I can remember are the times that it didn't work. Can you advise?

1Password Version: 6.0.1 bulid 601003
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Finder paste fail

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Hello @cooper.mac,

Unfortunately the window you describe doesn't accept something being pasted in via the clipboard, this is sadly true.

There is a way to bypass this restriction if you mount the DMG from a Terminal though, I don't know if this will be of use or not. Here is what would work and we'll see how comfortable you feel about it.

1. Open a Terminal window. The easiest way to do so is search for the word Terminal in Spotlight.
    2. Paste in the following command but don't press enter just yet. The command is hdiutil attach (there is a deliberate space at the end of that command just so you're aware).
    3. Open a Finder window and navigate to your encrypted sparse bundle.
    4. Drag and drop the encrypted sparse bundle from the Finder window to the Terminal window. OS X does this neat thing where when you do this it takes the Terminal friendly path and pastes it into the Terminal window.
    5. Press enter.
    6. You will be asked for the password for the encrypted sparse bundle. You can paste into a Terminal window though unlike the OS X window.
    7. You should see the encrypted sparse bundle mounted just as if you had done everything from inside Finder.

So it's a workaround but it does work based on my tests. Could this help at all? I know how you feel though, you create an amazingly strong password and then OS X sits there saying "TYPE IT OUT!!!" - not fun.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There is, I guess, a misprint in the Terminal command.

Surely 'hdituil' should be 'hdiutil' .

Fortunately this misprint would just mean that the command could not get executed. Terminal isn't as hard to use as people sometimes think, but misprints can be ruinous.

By the way, sometimes when paste does not work drag-and-drop will work, but I don't know if that holds in this case.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@danco, thank you for that catch!

@cooper.mac, danco was correct but I've edited it so that the terminal command in my previous post is now correct. Sorry about that!

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member

Hi,
    I had this problem last year and found that the following worked, and is still working, for me. I found it in a forum but cannot find the original now. Apologies to the originator.

I created a script in '~/Library/Scripts' using the Mac script editor and called it 'paste.scpt'

Here's the contents of the script.

set numbers_key_codes to {29, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 22, 26, 28, 25}

set input to do shell script "pbpaste"

if (input is not missing value) then
    tell application "System Events"
    repeat with char in the characters of input
    try
    set test to char as number
    key code numbers_key_codes's item (char + 1)
    on error
    keystroke char
    end try
    end repeat
    end tell
    end if

Now, when I get the situation where I have copied a password but cannot paste it into a field, I make sure that the cursor is in the correct field that needs the password and I click on the scroll or script icon in the top bar and click on 'paste'. The password then gets entered into the field correctly and I can continue to logon without needing to manually enter the password.

Hope this helps.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for passing that along! Hopefully anyone who encounters similar issues will be able to find this thread and have their pick of solutions :)

This discussion has been closed.