How often are major updates pushed out? (paid updates)

deeproots79
deeproots79
Community Member

So if I decide that 1password is for me what can I really expect to pay to stay up to date with this software? $69.99 for the bundled license to start with I read off the website. How often are major updates pushed out and what does it usually cost to upgrade? If a major update is pushed out every year and the upgrade fee is $20 then I can assume its going to cost me $20/yr to use 1password. I see a few others vendors with subscription based fees per year and I am trying to compare.

Thanks,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:pro-features-faq, kb:upgrade-license

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@deeproots79:

How often are major updates pushed out and what does it usually cost to upgrade?

It's really quite a long time since the last paid upgrade (1P4 was released in October 2013 and was a paid upgrade from 1P3). All upgrades from 1P4 through to 1P6 have been free.

As I don't work for AgileBits, but am merely a volunteer here, I obviously can't give any guarantees about what will happen in future. However, I'm sure that AgileBits (being the cautious and sensible company that it is) won't give those guarantees either. What I can say with complete confidence is that:

• AgileBits is, based on my past experience since using 1Password 3, one of the fairest and most reasonable software companies I've ever had the pleasure to deal with.
    • There are frequent discounted sales of 1Password and AgileBits still provides discounts for 1Password 3 users wanting to upgrade to any later version.
    • The version of 1Password that you buy will never "expire". The only thing that may stop it working in the future is changes made by Apple to OS X (in which case, of course, you might effectively be pushed into obtaining an updated version of 1Password—although nobody can now say whether or not that would be a paid upgrade).

I'm sorry if this is all more vague than you might have wanted. Personally, I really trust AgileBits and, based on past experience, don't expect that AgileBits will do anything to abuse that trust. For me, that's just about the most important aspect of any dealing with a software company.

Stephen

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @deeproots79,

To add to the information that @Stephen_C has given you, I want to mention that there is a subscription option for 1Password as well as the standard ones. It's called 1Password for Families. It's a single subscription, and you always have the most recent version of the app in all of your devices and platforms for free. In addition to that, you would be able to use it with your family and share information with them if you want, but it's still a very good option even if it's just for you! With Families you don't have to worry about synching either. It will keep everything in all your devices synced automatically.
    AgileBits has a very nice plan for early adopters right now, you can read more about 1 Password for Families and sign in here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/
    I hope this information helps you! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Pilar is awesome, and correct. I'm enjoying 1Password for Families myself, and of course you can stick with the more traditional licensing if you prefer that instead. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.