Accidental upgrade to 6. How to downgrade to 5.x

amohr
amohr
Community Member

I thought I was doing a free maintenance upgrade, not a new purchase. I would like to stay with 5.X so how can I downgrade, as my mac has been upgraded to 6. Thanks

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11 beta
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I updated to 6 thinking it was an update to 5. I'd like to stick with 5.X please. Downgrade?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@amohr I'm not sure why you think the upgrade from 1P5 to 1P6 is paid—it's not, it's free. I think you need to explain rather more before we might be able to guess why you're having some sort of problem with the upgrade.

In particular, please tell us:

• Exactly what version of 1P for Mac you are using, including whether it comes from the Mac App Store or the AgileBits store (the link will tell you how to find that information)
    • Your OS X version number
    • Where you bought 1P5 (the Mac App Store or the AgileBits store)
    • How you tried to upgrade 1P5 and why you were led to believe you had to pay for the upgrade

To be quite clear, if you bought 1P5 from the Mac App Store the upgrade to 1P6 from the Mac App Store is free so long as you're still using the same Apple ID as you used when you purchased 1P5. If you bought from the the AgileBits store then when you download 1P6 from the AgileBits store it should simply recognise your 1P5 licence. There is definitely no need to pay again in either of those circumstances.

Stephen

• amohr
    amohr
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Hi Stpehen -

I bought 1P from AgileBits. My license for upgrade to 5 is (deleted by moderator for privacy). I was accepting some upgrades and then apparently one was for 6 (I should have paid closer attention) and now I am told my "trial is expired".

My OS X version is 10.11 Beta (15A278b).

1P version is 1Password 6
    Version 6.0.2 (602004), which I got from the AgileBits store.

I was applying updates to 5 and inadvertently upgraded to 6. I probably wasn't paying very good attention.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Trouble is that the licence you gave (and I have deleted) is for 1PW3. Later versions (1PW4, 5,6) use a licence FILE, the same one for all versions as the upgrades from 4 to 5 to 6 were free. The upgrade from 3 to 4 was a paid one.

If you are sure that you paid from 1PW5, and got it direct from AgileBits, check your past emails. You would have received an email with a clickable link, and clicking that link would download and install the licence.

If you can't find that old email, you should be able to recover it at https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

• Hey @amohr! Sorry for the confusion about a paid upgrade. Versions 4-6 use the same license, so you don't need to worry about getting another one. Feel free to stick with 1Password 6. Your license definitely works with it. You can request that it be resent at the page danco mentioned as well. :)

• amohr
    amohr
    Community Member

Thanks, and apologies for listing my license number - I forgot this was a public forum. The warning has gone away and now all seems good. Thanks!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear everything is sorted for you @amohr, sorry for the hiccup.

• JJMM
    JJMM
    Community Member

Dear all, I have been using 1password on iPad, MacBook Air, and Android since December 2014 when I bought it (see image). I was using 1password fine, without the need to update.

Recently, a month ago, I got an iMac and installed 1password and it took me to version 6, which I have, but it says that trial version has expired (see attached).

So, could you please explain to me if I need to pay or if I should go back to version 5?

Jaime

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You don't need to pay agin, however you do have to apply your licence.

If you still have the email from AgileBits on your Air, just read/copy it to the iMac and there is a clickable link that installs the licence.

Or go to https://agilebits.com/home/licenses and you can get the email sent again to you.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JJMM,

What danco said is right, you installed the trial version of 1Password and now you only need to activate it. I looked with the email address that you used here on the forum but I couldn't find a license under it. If you got 1Password with another email address you can get your license resent on the link that dance posted. This guide will help you sort out all the details about adding your license: https://support.1password.com/trial-expired/

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

• JJMM
    JJMM
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Hi @Pilar, when I went to the link that @danco sent, I did not receive my license. @Pilar would you mind checking if my [email removed by admin] account is on your database please?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Hi @JJMM,

I’m sorry for the confusion here! Your screenshot above indicates that you purchased the Premium features of 1Password for Android. This is a platform-specific purchase and does not apply to 1Password for Mac.

I was unable to find any license information under the email address you shared. Please note, I removed it from your post as this is a public forum and you likely don’t want to have that shared with everyone. :)

Did you perhaps purchase 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store? Our license records only cover licenses purchased directly from the AgileBits Store - apps purchased from the Mac App Store are handled by Apple, and all license details are tied to your Apple ID.

If you believe you purchased from the AgileBits Store, we’d be happy to track down your licensing information. Please email in to support+licenses@agilebits.com with your full name and the email address that you used to purchase 1Password. Feel free to include any alternates that you think you might have used. We’ll get to the bottom of this!

• JJMM
    JJMM
    Community Member

Dear @Megan, many thanks indeed for tracking this and for clarifications. Yes, you're right, I bought 1Password through the App Store and paid it when using the iPad. Then I installed the 1Password version, and I have been using v5 on iPad, Mac Book Air and Android smartphone, 3 devices, without being reminded to use or update or to pay or to introduce my licence number. It was sort of magical indeed, :-), no hassle, working, fine until now.

Two weeks ago I started with a new iMac, and was updating all my software to start using this (iMac) more, and leave the laptop. And I downloaded v6. So, can I go back to v5 please? Or, if I have been operating on the limbo let me know. I didn't do it on purpose. So far, everything was OK —as a user experience— until 2 weeks ago.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JJMM,

Yes, you're right, I bought 1Password through the App Store and paid it when using the iPad.

My apologies for the confusion here. It sounds to me like you purchased the iOS version of 1Password through the iOS App Store? As with the Android features, the purchase of 1Password for iOS applies only to that platform and doesn’t extend to your Mac. (We’re working on ways of making this all more clear in the future - you’re not the only one who’s been a bit confused by this.)

I’m not quite sure why you were able to use 1Password 5 for a while without a license (our free trial lasts 30 days), but rolling back to 1Password 5 will not solve this issue for you. In order to use 1Password on your Mac, you will need a desktop license for the app. You can purchase 1Password for your desktop computers either from the AgileBits Store, or from the Mac App Store.

• JJMM
    JJMM
    Community Member

OK @Megan, many thanks then for clarifying this. Yes, I bought the iOS version trough the iOS App Store. And yes, I have been fine eversince. So I suppose I have now to move to formality. Thank you a lot.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Megan, you're very welcome. And again, I'm sorry for the confusion! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• dageff
    dageff
    Community Member

Hello, I'm a bit confused after reading this discussion. I believe I am the owner of a 1Password 4 for Mac (Family License). I purchased this directly from AgileBits on Jan 22, 2014. From reading this discussion it sounds as if I should have a free upgrade to version 6 which I think I have been using for a while (but not sure when I upgraded to it) and now whenever I use version 6 it says "Trial Expired". Do I need to repurchase this product? If so, can I downgrade to version 5? I already purchased version 3 and then also purchased a version 4 upgrade so I'm hoping I don't have to upgrade again at this point. I was very satisfied with the last version of this product I was using and never intended to upgrade to a new release that would cost me another $64.99. Please advise my options. Thanks so much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dageff: Good news: your existing 1Password for Mac license (version 4 at the time) is still valid for 1Password 6 (and 5)!

Unfortunately 1Password has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information.

But all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. In that spirit, I've also resent your license information via email. I hope this helps! :)

• dageff
    dageff
    Community Member

You guys are awesome. Thanks for replying so quickly and with that good news too! The problem if fixed. One last question: can you please remind me how a Family License works?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You guys are awesome. Thanks for replying so quickly and with that good news too! The problem if fixed.

@dageff: Wow! Thank you kindly! I do enjoy being the bearer of good tidings! :lol:

One last question: can you please remind me how a Family License works?

A family license of 1Password for Mac can be used by you and 5 other family members in your household on all of your Macs. Just forward them the license information and they can install and register the app just as you did.

And I hope that's not really your last question. We're here any time you need us. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Slight question. Is it

you and 5 other family members

as you just said, or is it "five family members including you". I thought it was the latter, but could easily be mistaken.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danco: I did! I just double checked this to be sure because if you're questioning it, there may be something to it. ;)

And as I typed that I asked myself the same question. I think both of our brains latched onto the number "5" and wondered if it was 5 total. In fact, the license holder can share it with up to 5 other family members. This is based on Apple's Family Sharing, since we wanted to mirror what folks could do with the Mac App Store version:

Thanks for pressing me on this. I'll be sure to remember all of the details in the future! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

And I'll remember not to question this again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, I'd forgotten some of the details of the old licensing too. No shame in asking. That's what we're here for! :chuffed:

• jgmayer
    jgmayer
    Community Member

I need help to downgrade from 6 to 5 as 6 breaks integration with sudolikeaboss...

• @jgmayer,

Not entirely true, sudolikeaboss does work with 6.x, you just need to make sure you have it up to date based on discussions on: https://github.com/ravenac95/sudolikeaboss/issues/29

Rudy

• jgmayer
    jgmayer
    Community Member

@rudy That is correct I had to run the sudolikeaboss re-register command to be able to get it to work again after the upgr

• @jgmayer,

Indeed, the browser registrations were relocated and needed additional information that wasn't available already in order to do a migration.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.