1Password for Families vaults page empty in Firefox (44.0.2) on Windows 10

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Families

I would like to try 1Password for Families in the Firefox browser (44.0.2, 64-bits) that I'm running on Windows 10, but when I log in to https://myfamily.1password.com I only see an empty page. However, I do receive an email that a new login has been detected.

Why is the page empty? How can I work around that? (I already had to disable uBlock Origin to be able to login at all)

1Password Version: Families Version 1.0.BETA.58-0
Extension Version: -
OS Version: Windows 10 1511 (build 10586.104)
Sync Type: Web

Comments

• dteare
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hello @XIII,

Thank you for reporting this issue, and I'm sorry for the trouble. We need to find a better way to report errors when something goes wrong.

First and foremost, can we please eliminate the possibility that anything is wrong with your network setup? Please visit the SSL/TLS Capabilities of Your Browser page (provided by SSLLabs) and you should see a message like this:

Your user agent supports TLS 1.2, which is the best available protocol version at the moment.

If you don't have TLS 1.2 support than the Families web app will refuse to run due to security concerns with older protocols.

That is likely not the issue, but as I say, I really wanted to simply eliminate the network from the equation entirely. So assuming that's fine, the next step is to take a look at the logs and see if there are any errors reported. In Firefox you can select the Tools > Web Developer > Web Console menu item and then you will likely see some errors in the Console. Can you tell me what you see there? A screenshot would be great, but you can also just select the errors and press Ctrl+C to copy them to your clipboard and then paste them in a response here using Ctrl+V.

Once we see what's going on we can take the next step. Please let us know; we're on pins an needles to learn what's happening :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

"Your user agent supports TLS 1.2, which is the best available protocol version at the moment.": OK

1Password for Families now does not even leave the login page after logging in, while I still get an email about a new login. The error in the web console is "too much recursion" (in libjs).

Last time when I was able to log in, but only got the empty page, I noticed that the source code was almost empty, but did mention that JavaScript was disabled in my browser, which is not true: javascript.enabled is set to true in about:config and uBlock Origin is disabled for the 1password.com domain. Do you use some kind of 3rd party scripts that might be blocked?

Also, I find these emails about a new login getting annoying. Do they happen that frequently because I clear my cookies after closing the browser? If so, what cookie should I save to prevent another email for the same browser?

• @XIII The issue you're experiencing is actually one that we're aware of, and it's only in Firefox on Windows 10. We're looking into a fix for it, but in the meantime I would recommend using Google Chrome or another browser to access Families. Sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully we'll have this fixed up soon.

ref: B5-946

• rob
    Options

Hi, @XIII.

@penderworth took care of your first question, but I can answer your other two. The issue isn't with JavaScript being disabled. What you saw was in the page source, but it wasn't displayed on the page because JavaScript is enabled. It's in the page source for everyone because that's the only way for it to be displayed when JavaScript actually is disabled.

If you're getting another email every time you sign into 1Password on the web, then yes, it's because some local storage is getting cleared. We identify a new browser by saving a token in its local storage. If that, gets cleared, the browser appears to be a new one so we register a "new device". Local storage isn't the same as cookies, though.

If you're using Firefox, you should be able to clear all cookies without clearing local storage. Go to Options > Privacy > History > Clear history when Firefox closes, and click the Settings button next to that option. In the settings window, uncheck "Offline Website Data" to let 1Password keep its browser identifier saved. That will also allow you to keep the email address and Account Key saved in the browser so all you have to do is enter your Master Password.

It sounds like you still aren't able to load the page using Firefox, though, so that's a problem. As @penderworth said, we're looking into it, but we haven't been able to reproduce the issue ourselves. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you just yet.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I really don't want to install Chrome (Google, privacy), so I guess I'll have to wait.

Let's hope you get this solved before March 21 (commercial release date?).

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi, @XIII.

You should be able to sign into your account using Opera or Microsoft Edge as well. Could you try one of those and see if that will work for you?

1Password for Families is officially released. March 21 is just the cutoff date for the Special Launch Special we announced on our blog. I hope we're able to solve this Firefox issue as well, but it's been happening for a while and we haven't figured it out yet. :(

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I succeeded in "training" my family members to use Firefox (with additional safety/privacy related add-ons installed), so I'm rather not switching browsers.

Firefox seems to be the number 2 browser in Europe and I think especially privacy/security concerned people prefer it, so its user base might be a significant part of your target user group?

Anyway, hope you find the cause and solve it soon! Let me know if you want me to test something.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@dahanbn I'm using the 64-bits version.

Your reply triggers to me to try the portable version of both later today. Thanks!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Turns out there is no 64-bits portable version of Firefox?

However, with the 32-bits portable version I experience exactly the same issues as with the 64-bits version I have installed on my system.

Edge does work indeed.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for testing that out!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Visited one of my family members today. Since I was curious I tried to log in into 1Password on their laptop, which is also running Firefox 44.0.2 on Windows 10 (both 64-bits). Much to my surprise I can see the vaults page there...

• @XIII We actually just updated things today with a fix for this issue. Could you try things out on your computer once again and let us know if it's working? :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I will, tonight.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yes, I can log in and see my vaults on my main PC now.

Unfortunately the account key is lost between sessions until I tell the Self-Destruction Cookies extension to never delete cookies from *.1password.com.

I thought that this key was stored in local storage? (which I don't delete between sessions)

As a result I have 9 "Firefox / Windows 10" entries as Authorized Devices...

• rob
    Options

@XIII yeah, it sounds like your extension is deleting more than just cookies. We don't save the Account Key in a cookie.

@dahanbn it's technically only obfuscated, meaning it's encrypted with a key derived from non-secret things.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Anything else you store in a cookie that might interfere? Or nothing at all?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

@XIII: I just stumbled upon this discussion, and I'm a bit confused. Since I've been using 1Password for Teams in Firefox without issue and I have only a single extension installed (guess which one!), I suspect that it's some customizations you've done there that are causing the issue, rather than cookies. I know you probably don't want to spend a lot of time fiddling with it to figure out what it is exactly, but if you'll give me a list I'll be happy to test it myself to see if I can narrow it down. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Appreciated, buy maybe not needed...

I had a little time for experimenting and noticed there is (only) 1 cookie called __cfduid for the .1password.com domain.

If I keep that cookie, the Account Key field is pre-filled after a browser restart.
    If I remove that cookie, the Account Key field is empty after a browser restart.

Does this make sense?

• rob
    Options

@XIII, can you explain how you are removing the cookie? However you're doing it is also removing data from local storage, which is not the same as cookies. The cookie you referenced has nothing to do with the local storage data containing the Account Key information. I was able to remove that cookie without clearing the Account Key saved in local storage.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I can't reproduce it in Firefox on my MacBook (OS X instead of Windows) at work.

At home I go to the Firefox privacy options, click "Show Cookies...", select the *.1password.com cookie, and click on "Remove Selected".

I will try to do some experiments at home tonight (maybe in a clean portable version of Firefox)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Very interesting. Please let us know what you find! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming. That's been my experience as well.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Now I'm really curious... (but I have to wait several hours before I can test it)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

If I keep that cookie, the Account Key field is pre-filled after a browser restart.
    If I remove that cookie, the Account Key field is empty after a browser restart.

I can no longer reproduce this at home, so I think I made a mistake when testing this before.

Furthermore it's indeed the Self-Destructing Cookies extension that is also deleting the local storage (first extension I tried in a portable version of Firefox). It has an option "Include LocalStorage" which is on by default. Actually, I can leave it on, as long as I put http://1password.com (the main domain) on the whitelist (never self-destruct), which is fine by me.

Problem solved!

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good to hear! Thanks for following up :)

This discussion has been closed.