can i keep a vault for my stuff separate from a vault for my kids on my computer that my kids use

Options
TGLohr
TGLohr
Community Member

I just downloaded the free software today and am playing around with it. I am considering buying the Family upgrade. My kids use my computer. I have the safari extension installed and in use; but, my kids could easily log onto sites that I don't want them to have access to (bank accounts, and the like). But I want them to be able to use 1password for their own sites (that I would also be able to access a la a company's web administrator). How would I set up mine to be secure from them, but also have one for them, which I would be able to access? I didn't see anything addressing this in the help pages I viewed. Did I just overlook it??

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.0.2 (602004) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: os X 10.11.3
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: kb:teams-families-setup-existing-user, kb:teams-families-setup, kb:license-requirements, kb:mac-app-store-vs-agilebits-store, kb:how-safe-is-touch-id

Comments

• rgruyters
    rgruyters
    Community Member
    Options

I think the best way to solve this is to create a separate user account on your computer. That way the kids have their own environment to work in and you could able to set parental controls on that account.

As far as my knowledge goes you can't do this with 1Password. It's not intent that way.

• Hello @TGLohr,

Thanks for asking and welcome to our forums! :)

@rgruyters is absolutely right, it sounds like separate user accounts on your computer would be a much better option. With 1Password Families you can invite your kids individually to join your family team and they will each have their own personal vault. They can then keep their stuff in their own vault and not clutter up any of your vaults.

What's really nice about this approach is it will grow naturally with your children. When they get older and get their own Mac (hopefully Apple has shipped the new update by then!) and they will simply install 1Password and add their 1Password account on their new machine.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Cheers!

• TGLohr
    TGLohr
    Community Member
    Options

@rgruyters and @dteare thanks for your input and help. One final question: by setting each family member up with their own account within my computer, and then their own vault under each one of those accounts, I assume each vault would have its own Master Password? Or would there also be one overarching Master Password, with each account then setting up its own sub-password?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @TGLohr,

With 1Password for Families Master Passwords are for users, not vaults. Vaults do not have Master Passwords. Also it wouldn't be necessary to explicitly set up a vault for each user. When you create an account for someone a Personal vault is automatically created for them. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.