Generate new access key? [Don't store Emergency Kit in insecure location]

Options
tulbox
tulbox
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Families

It's not clear how to regenerate an access key? I didn't treat my originally emergency kit securely (just uploaded to dropbox to make sure I didn't lock myself out of my playground), but now that going to use it for real, thought it would be easy to generate a properly protected access key. How do I?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tulbox: The only way to generate a new Account Key is by going through the recovery process. In order to do that, you'll need to have another Owner in your Family select you from the admin interface and choose Begin Recovery. After you complete the process, you'll have a new Account Key. I hope this helps! :)

• tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    Options

Guessed that might be the only current option. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Brenty you are most welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@tulbox @brenty @bwoodruff This was a very helpful exchange for me, thank you. I too had stored my Emergency Kit in Dropbox and then realized that might not be the best thing to do, so I took @brenty advice and generated a new account key. Worked quickly, easily and now I'm all set. So thanks for asking this question.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @iamecho! It is always great to hear when a forum thread helps not only the person who opened the thread but others as well. This is one of the primary benefits of having a forum help system like this, vs strictly email based help.

For anyone else reading: we would not recommend storing your emergency kit in Dropbox! It is intended to be printed, and stored in a physically secure location. If you're paperless though and must store it digitally please be sure the digital location is equally secure (encrypted). If you've already stored it someplace less than desirable please consider running your account through the recovery process to generate a new account key (and perhaps also Master Password if you entered your Master Password on the Emergency Kit).

Ben

• tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    Options

So the latest email update states "You can now change your Master Password and regenerate your Account Key from your profile page." However, it appears you can only do a master password change there. Am I missing something?

• Jacob
    Options

@tulbox You can indeed change the Master Password and regenerate the Account Key for your account. I'm not sure what you mean, though. The only password you'd be using for your account is the Master Password. The Account Key is generated in your browser when you first sign up. If you're looking for another place to change your Master Password, you can do that in the 1Password apps as well. If you're looking into getting an Emergency Kit to match your new information, you only need to print a new one if you regenerated the Account Key. You can print it in the My Profile page as usual. Does that help? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tulbox: I think penderworth may have misunderstood your question:

Is that what you were looking for? Let me know if this helps! :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty How is regenerating the account key different from just downloading a new emergency kit? Selecting regenerate account key doesn't change the actual number, if just produces the emergency kit, right?

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@iamecho It changes the number. I've done it once and was careful not to lock myself out. If my wife wasn't an owner I would be a little scared of the process. Its fast and locks out all of your other devices. Make sure you print that emergency kit!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@Scuba629 Pretty sure it doesn't as I just did it twice! The only way to get a new number that I know of is to:

go through the recovery process. In order to do that, you'll need to have another Owner in your Family select you from the admin interface and choose Begin Recovery. After you complete the process, you'll have a new Account Key.

Note though that "Owners" are now called "Family Organizers". And the only reason why I did this was because I had initially stored my Emergency Kit in Dropbox so I wanted to start fresh and keep the Kit as a paper copy only to protect the information properly.

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@iamecho Interesting... I did it when they first enabled it on April 3rd(Release 86). Maybe its broken now? Have you tried using a different browser? I used Chrome myself.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Scuba629 I'm not actually looking to regenerate my Account Key, I'm just curious what the purpose is because when I tried it just now the account key it gave me is the same as the one I have. Yes, using Chrome as well. 1Password 6 Version 6.3.BETA-4 (630004) AgileBits Beta.

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@iamecho I just did it on my work login. It worked great! In fact I ran it twice just to be sure it was working.

Just to double check... Are you putting in the correct password and clicking the Regenerate Account Key button? I only ask because it sounds like you don't want to do it just yet...

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Scuba629 All set!

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@iamecho Glad I could help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, regenerating the Account Key is a bit scary, since it invalidates the previous one. It's not something anyone should ever have to do, but it's really important to have the option there in case you have reason to believe that your Account Key has been compromised.

While someone would need both the Account Key and Master Password to access your account, if you have reason to believe that one or the other has fallen into the wrong hands (or simply is no longer in your possession), regenerating it will ensure your security and give you some peace of mind. Cheers! :)

• tulbox
    tulbox
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I missed the obvious.

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Does regenerating a master key will kill my master password and all my datas in my personal and shared vaults?

As I stored few minutes in my Google Drive my emergency kit then in my 1P ; I should regenerate it to be sure it cannot be known.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Spinacle Doesn't kill your data but you will need to remove your Family from 1Password and then add it again using new Account Key & Password. (same for iOS devices if you have them.) I did it yesterday without any problem and was up and running again in under five minutes.

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @iamecho

• Jacob
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.