Still need help on troubleshooting "failed to connect"!

Options
petro
petro
Community Member

Hi AgileBits, I've been through all the steps in your article on "failed to connect to 1password mini", and sadly I'm stuck. I've:

• Made sure the app is in the applications folder
  • Reset the attributes
  • Made sure there's no duplicate copies
  • Fully quit and rebooted
  • Fully removed every bit of 1password i could find in the library folder (containers, application support, preferences), then rebooted and reinstalled from a fresh download. I only left around my password databases in dropbox.

I've not tried removing the Safari extension, which is the primary browser I use. Also, I'm using a user account with no admin rights, but I've got an admin account on my mac, in case that matters.

Any suggestions what else to try, or steps to try again? Thanks! -pete

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried:
    xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app/

I think I've done this before, but trying again after reading through other forum posts.

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

Two more things:

• Just downloaded your support tool, and sent a diagnostics report.

• Your diagnostics report tool doesn't seem to respect the default email app chosen in MacOS. I use Airmail, not Mac Mail, but your diagnostics tool insisted on opening up a new mail message in Apple Mail. Not related to my problem, but a handy one to fix!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @petro,

I think I can hopefully help you with this.

Sorry that you're experiencing this! It sounds as if you are on the right track here.

First of all, what is the exact error you're getting? You start 1Password, and after 60 seconds it says it can't launch the app?

What did it say after you typed xattr -d -r -s /Applications/1Password\ 6.app and hit enter? Did it say there was an error or something else?

Can you tell me what it outputs when you type xattr /Applications/1Password\ 6.app and hit enter? I'm wondering if maybe as a non-admin user it's not able to apply the changes.

You may also try to do the xattr -d -r -s /Applications/1Password\ 6.app from your administrator account and see if that fixes your issue.

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

First of all, what is the exact error you're getting? You start 1Password, and after 60 seconds it says it can't launch the app?

The problem isn't every time, maybe one out of every 10 times I try and click on the icon in my Safari browser I have to wait 60 seconds to get any response, then I get the "failed to connect to 1password mini" error and the option to quit.

Ran this: xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app/
    No response on the command line. I don't have admin rights in this account. Should I sudo it?

I just tried that:
    pete@Petro:[~]$ sudo xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app/
    Password:

No output after the command run. I can try switching to the admin account and try that.

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, just logged in as admin account, ran: xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app/

Complained "permission denied", since the 1password app is owned by my user account "pete", and not the admin account. So I:

sudo xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app/

Got no results back from running that. Will test and see how it goes.

• @petro - Thanks for sending a diagnostics report to us. We will take a look and reply via email.

ref: VRJ-85246-328

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

So far today I've had no problems, which is the longest I've gone without the problem. So it could be problem solved! I'd assume if it's still ok tomorrow, then it's not a problem any more. Thanks!

• @petro - I'm so glad you've had no further problems today. Let us know as we are always happy to investigate more.

This discussion has been closed.