Excessive memory use on Mac OS X El Capitan

Options
read
read
Community Member

1password mini uses nearly .5 GB on Mac OS X El Capitan, but 1password uses 46 MB. Browser is Safari, although I occasionally use Google Chrome. I have noticed the "spinning beach ball" when I open 1password mini to fill in a login form.
Is there a memory leak?

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: forum-search:1password mini uses nearly .5 GB on Mac OS X El Capitan, but 1password uses 46 MB. Memory leak?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @read,

I'm sorry you're having a bit of trouble with 1Password! The spinning beachball is likely related to the high memory usage of 1Password mini (although I'm not positive).

If you restart Safari (and/or Chrome), does that help at all? If not, the next thing you can try is to restart 1Password mini. From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Does that seem to make a difference?

If it's still a problem, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, does the problem come back at some point?

Please let us know how it goes, and if it continues to be an issue, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• read
    read
    Community Member
    Options

Restarting Safari or Chrome did not change 1Password mini. I tried that first. It remained a process in memory (per Activity Monitor).

Nor did removing and reinstalling the extension in Safari (getting a new extension from the App store).

I could not find a way to restart 1P mini, nor help on the matter at agilebits.com, so I used 1Password preferences to uncheck keeping 1P mini in memory, quit 1Password, restarted 1Password, and rechecked the preferences selection to keep 1P mini in memory. That solved the problem. I saw both processes disappear in Activity Monitor and then re-appear when they were restarted.

BUT... 1Password mini started up at 13.9 MB and is currently sitting at 15.2 MB, and I haven't used the mini app at all since restarting it. Seems that there is definitely a memory leak. I don't know exactly how long it has been since I logged out or restarted my Mac, but 2 or 3 weeks seems to be what I recall. Nearly half a GB of memory growth in that time seems really excessive to me. I hope the developers can take a serious look at this problem.

One final note, between logouts/restarts I usually let my Mac sleep with a locked screensaver; so 1Password mini is unlikely to be removed from memory between successive restart/logon events. I do, however, usually quit Safari (or Chrome if I was using it instead) before locking the screensaver, but I have already seen that that does not "reset" 1P mini, and I don't know if leaving it "running" might contribute to the memory leak.

Hope this helps.

• @read Thanks for the updates. Could you install the beta and let us know if the issue continues? We'll keep investigating if it's there in the beta as well.

• bergnerd
    bergnerd
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue with 1Password mini in Safari (Version 9.0.3 (11601.4.4)) in Mac OS X El Capitan. Currently, after 1 week of usage the 1P mini process is consuming 800 MB of memory while 1Password is just using 49 MB. Unlocking 1P mini took a fraction of a second before the last update, now it takes up to 10 seconds. Number of threads is 8. Looks really like a memory leak, it is (besides Photoshop and kernel_task) the most memory-consuming process on the Mac.

• @bergnerd What version of 1Password are you using? I'd also suggest updating to the beta as I mentioned above. Please let us know if that improves things.

• bergnerd
    bergnerd
    Community Member
    Options

I was using the last available Version of 1Password6 using the automated update (AgileBits web store version). I updated now to 6.1BETA-3 and will let you know if the problem persists.

• @bergnerd All righty. If it does persist, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac? That'll give us a better idea of what's happening.

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you send the email, post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive a few minutes after sending. That will help us connect the dots. :)

• read
    read
    Community Member
    Options

I am running the Beta version since 2/27/2016. It loaded initially using 13.9 MB, climbed to 15 MB soon thereafter (before I used it) and then to 35 MB the following day after some use. Today I have used it a few more times and its memory requirements are 41.9 MB.

This seems like a smaller delta increase than what produced my maximum of 477 MB, but I didn't follow that increase at all - just saw it at its peak. Nevertheless, this certainly has all the appearances of a memory leak.

I will prove diagnostics if requested.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @read,

Thanks for the update! I'm not quite sure what's happening, but assuming the memory usage continues to increase, it will be helpful if you can send us a diagnostics report. To do that, just follow the steps from penderworth's previous message. Hopefully that report will help us figure out what's going on. Thanks in advance! :)

• read
    read
    Community Member
    Options

Just sent diagnostic report. Support ID code is #CGF-55457-349.
    Hope this is useful.

• Hi @read,

I've looked at your report and have sent you an email about it.

To everyone else, if you're using 1Password for Teams, there's a good chance you're seeing the increased memory due to a leak we had in some Teams code. I've fixed that leak and it should go out in the next release of 1Password for Mac.

Rick

• read
    read
    Community Member
    Options

You should find an email sent to support@agilebits.com with the requested 1passwordmini.leaks file.
    Subject line contains the Support ID code #CGF-55457-349.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @read! I see that Rick has been helping you out with this via email. If you have more question about that, we'll keep the conversation going via email instead of this forum thread, just so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: CGF-55457-349

• parkerm77
    parkerm77
    Community Member
    Options

I am having an issue with the memory of 1Password Mini, as well. It's currently using over 3.5GB of RAM. Restarting does not resolve the issue. It takes about 30 seconds for my icon to stop spinning before I can unlock 1Password. I am running 1Password 6.1 (up to date). Diagnostic report has been created and sent to 1Password from my account email.

• rudy
    Options

@parkerm77,

Thanks for the screenshot. The usage numbers should be greatly improved in the 6.2 release, which should be released soon.

Rudy Richter
    1Password for Mac Developer

This discussion has been closed.