1Password doesn't lock when I minimize it

Options
ChocolateAndTech
ChocolateAndTech
Community Member

Hi,

Does anyone know why 1Password doesn't lock when I minimize it? When I minimize it, I can see down in the dock the screen changes to show the screen where you enter your master password, but when I open that window again it goes away and just lets me right into my passwords. I'm scared I could be working and then leaving my computer for a second and someone get's access to my passwords. I've set the 1Password settings to lock up after 1 minute, 1Password is up to date, I've restarted my Mac and I'm still having problems.

Thank You.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChocolateAndTech: Apps are not notified by the system if they are minimized, so that isn't something we can do. You can, however, customize your security preferences to have 1Password lock after a period of inactivity or when you close the window, etc. But setting 1Password to lock "after computer is idle for 1 minute" will only cause 1Password to lock after your computer has been completely idle during that time — i.e. not if you're actively using it. Does that help?

• ChocolateAndTech
    ChocolateAndTech
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

So because apps aren't notified by the system when they're minimized, because of that 1Password doesn't know when to go into I don't know I guess "lock mode?" What else can I do then?

I'm kind of annoyed. I like 1Password but it's so confusing .. I always have some problem with it. :(

• @ChocolateAndTech The app should be locking when you put your computer to sleep. By default, the Security preferences are set up to do lock automatically after five minutes of the computer being idle, after the computer goes to sleep, when the main window is closed, when the screen saver is activated, and when fast user switching happens. The one that may help you is simply closing the 1Password window rather than minimizing it. If you don't want to close the main window, you can lock things even easier by clicking the lock icon in the top right of the main app. Nice and simple. :)

If you do want to close the main window and lock things, you can enable that preference as brenty mentioned. Here's what mine look like, for example:

Once you do that, click the red icon in the top left of the window and the main window will be closed and the app locked. Does that help get things sorted out? I hope you haven't given up on 1Password because of this. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them. Feel free to give us any feedback you have on things so far.

• ChocolateAndTech
    ChocolateAndTech
    Community Member
    Options

So. Simply put, the only thing you can really do is just lock it manually or just close 1Password?

• ChocolateAndTech
    ChocolateAndTech
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

These are my settings for 1Password. I don't know how but for some reason it magically "works" by showing that lock screen thingy idk what you call it anymore.. but like only after some amount of time that I have no idea. I don't know.. I guess I can't get over the fact that I mean 1Password is kind of pricey, you would think that you know password managers or for something sensitive like that, apps like these would have something to you know.. to I guess sort of offer some privacy/protection for your passwords.. oh well.. I mean that autolock feature works on iOS, you would think it would work for the Mac somehow.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

So. Simply put, the only thing you can really do is just lock it manually or just close 1Password?

@ChocolateAndTech: Or, as I suggested in my previous post, configure it to lock when you're not using the computer. For example, if I get up and walk away, 1Password will lock itself automatically even if I forget (similar to the settings penderworth showed):

• After 5 minutes have elapsed
    • When the screen saver starts
    • When the computer goes to sleep
    • When you switch to another user account

I mean that autolock feature works on iOS, you would think it would work for the Mac somehow.

It does work. I almost never lock 1Password manually. If 1Password isn't locking at all, it sounds like you may have some other software keeping the computer active, even if you're not using it. For example:

• After 5 minutes have elapsed, 1Password will stay unlocked if there is still activity
    • The screen saver will not start if it is disabled, or prevented by activity
    • The computer will also not go to sleep in the above case

Does 1Password lock when you close the window, according to the setting we suggested above? You can also put the Mac to sleep manually from the  menu, or set the screen saver to a shorter interval in System Preferences. If you do that, does 1Password lock as you expect, or is your Mac unable to sleep or activate the screen saver at all? Please let us know what you find!

• ChocolateAndTech
    ChocolateAndTech
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. Well, I've started to notice 1Password locks when their's 1 minute of inactivity (so I guess have my settings right.) So if that's all, is 1Password working right then?

• Hi @ChocolateAndTech,

If you have your settings configured such that it should lock after one minute (the default, I believe) and it's locking after one minute I'd say it's working right. :)

Let us know if you have any more questions. We're happy to help.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.