Is there a way to sync now on mac using iCloud sync? I'm on all the latest.

brian_klein
brian_klein
Community Member

I've updated a password on iOS. Decided it would be easier to do something on the mac. Tried to jump over and log in, but couldn't get 1P to sync... 15 minutes later it finally synced. But it seems like I should be able to hit a sync now button or something.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a way to sync now in the mac app when using iCloud?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@brian_klein - It is my recollection, from reading about this issue from other users, that Apple controls when iCloud syncs, and there isn't a way for the user or the developers to force syncing on at any particular time.

• brian_klein
    brian_klein
    Community Member

Ahh. Makes sense. Wish there was a better way. Dropbox, I guess. Or wireless sync?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brian_klein,

Thanks for writing in about this, and I'm sorry to hear iCloud sync took so long! Does it happen like that every time you make a change to 1Password, or was this an isolated incident?

Normally, a sync is triggered in 1Password when you launch/unlock it, change items (add, edit, delete), or switch vaults. If iCloud sync is being used, a sync is also triggered when CloudKit (i.e. Apple's technology that we use for iCloud sync) tells 1Password that changes are available. Usually that happens very quickly, so that change should have automatically synced to 1Password on your Mac the next time you opened/unlocked it (or if it was already open/unlocked, CloudKit should have alerted 1Password that there was a change to your data, causing it to sync). It's very unusual for that to have been delayed for so long - usually it happens very quickly, so there would not normally be any need for a button to force the sync to take place.

If for some reason a delay like that happens again, you can try quitting & reopening 1Password, switching vaults (if you have more than one), etc. Since 1Password depends on the iCloud/CloudKit service for the sync to work, there's probably not much we can do when it doesn't work immediately - but if you keep experiencing long delays like that, please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further to see if there's anything we can do to help. Cheers! :)

• kbrackley
    kbrackley
    Community Member

I found this older thread as a result of my search to find a solution. There is no Sync Now option in the Mac Desktop app--whether you use iCloud or Dropbox. To me this is a mistake. I update or create a login from my tablet or phone, and I have to shut 1Password down on my desktop and open it back up to get a sync started. Whereas on the iPhone and iPad I have a Sync Now option. Can this please be added to the Mac desktop version? Obviously this isn't an iCloud or Dropbox restriction as the option is in the IOS app version.

• Thanks for the feedback @kbrackley. I would provide a bit of background on why there's not a button for this, but Drew already has above. :) I do appreciate you taking the time to post about this though. We'll keep it in mind.

• kbrackley
    kbrackley
    Community Member

I'm thinking there are issues with the "automatic sync" in both dropbox and icloud. Even though Drew states:

"Normally, a sync is triggered in 1Password when you launch/unlock it, change items (add, edit, delete), or switch vaults"

That is not always the case. I can use my iphone to create a new login, and wait a day for it to show up. Not minutes. Not closing or reopening the app (which is ridiculous) or adding/changing an item triggers a sync.

I have moved from Dropbox, thinking the problems were related to that method, to iCloud. The only way I can get a sync to trigger when I need it is to remove the sync choice, don't delete, and then go back and add it back in again. Which is also not good.

I have added an item on the desktop, then go back to the phone and "sync now" and I have my updates...but that too has to be done manually, but at least its a better option than what I have on the desktop.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kbrackley

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some trouble syncing your data, waiting a full day for it to be synced or having to remove the sync option should not be necessary by any means! If you're having trouble with both methods then I suspect the problem might be something external to 1Password, but we should investigate!

In one hand, you might see that something in this guide might do the trick for you. I'd specially would recommend you to check if other things in Dropbox are synced right away or if there's a general delay. This guide will help you check this.

I would also like to ask you to do some testing for us so we can get a better idea of what's going on. If you add an item on your computer, does it get synced right away or do you have the same problem? Can you please try both editing a new item that has already synced and creating a new one and see if there's any difference on whether they get synced or not?

Finally, I'm going on a hunch here, but could you please check if you have these issues regardless of whether your phone is connected to Wi-Fi or using data?

I hope to hear back from you so we can get to the bottom of this issue in no time! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.