The 1pwd prompt to save login is interfering (dismissing) the Firefox building function to save pwd

Options

When I submit login on new site, the both the browser and 1password tries to prompt to save the password. I'm using Firefox (latest version) For some sites, I like to use the built-in firefox password save feature since its more convenient (inline auto-fill) in addition to saving the password in 1password. That is, I want to save password in both password manager systems (firefox and 1pwd) for some sites where security is less of a concern.

This used to work just fine. both 1password and firefox prompts were persistent until I could acknowledge either. But lately the 1password prompt is modal dialog and forces the firefox prompt to be dismissed. This prevents me from saving passwords to firefox unless I disable the 1password prompt for that site (which I don't want to do because I want a record of the passwords in 1password as well).

Is there a way for me to configure 1password to use the old behavior that allowed both password managers to co-exist?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: google
Referrer: forum-search:prompt to save password interfering with firefox password save

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stevemc Thanks for your post. In general, we don't recommend using your browser's password manager alongside 1Password. It can cause confusion when the data becomes out of sync between the two like if you change a password and update it in 1Password but the browser is still filling the old password. Or the autofill can confuse 1Password during login filling.

A workflow I would recommend instead is using some incarnation of open and fill. Yes, you can do this from the main app by double clicking the entry in your 1Password list. You can also do it by searching in 1Password mini either from the main menu bar or the toolbar button in Firefox. Or you can use a 1Click bookmark if you're a bookmarks kind of person. (Double bonus pro tip: these can be used lots of places. Then, you can just click on that login's bookmark in your browser and 1Password will leap into action. Firefox is also the only browser that can open, fill, and submit multiple logins in multiple tabs at once, so you can use the Open All In Tabs option in a bookmarks folder.

OK, OK… that's not really the question you asked, even if it might help. :) It sounds like maybe Firefox changed something so that the password saving popup gets dismissed when Firefox loses focus. When 1Password mini pops up, it takes focus from Firefox to prompt you to save, so Firefox dismisses the window. In a cursory search of the release notes, I wasn't able to see any mention of this change but it could have just gone without mention. The only way I can see around this is to use manual save in 1Password before items that you also want to save in Firefox. So, if you save the login manually first, when the autosave message fires, 1Password will see you've already saved this login for this site and not spring into action. This should allow Firefox's password manager to do its thing unfettered.

I hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.