Deleting Vaults

Options
jFred
jFred
Community Member

I just switched from Stand alone 1PW to Families. I had two vaults, in addition to my primary vault, that I shared with my wife via dropbox. How do I "delete" those vaults? I've already moved the info from those vaults into a shared Family vault and cleared the data from the standalone vaults. I've also stopped the drop box sync. Do I need to do anything special to delete them? Can I just delete the data from Dropbox? WIll 1PW throw an error next time it start up that it cannot find the dropbox vaults?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jFred,

There's not currently a way to delete vaults in 1Password. If you're sure that all of your items are in 1Password families, you can remove all of the items from your old vaults or even start over from scratch if you'd like.

Let us know if you have any other questions :)

• nJFcRYj98CRDbYEqYN
    nJFcRYj98CRDbYEqYN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Aleen,

I'm glad you posted this. I was searching through the guide for this info.

Being able to rename or delete a vault is a feature that I'd welcome. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to do this when I started setting up vaults.

Personal and Shared are not the names I would have chosen. Guess I'll just hide them and the other vaults I don't want on all my devices.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @nJFcRYj98CRDbYEqYN and @jFred,

I actually gave a bit of misinformation yesterday. You can delete secondary vaults:

1) Switch to the vault you'd like to delete.
    2) Click the 1Password menu.
    3) Click Delete [vault name] Vault.
    4) Confirm that you'd like to delete the vault.

There's no way to delete Primary vaults at this time. I'm sorry that I steered you wrong!

@nJFcRYj98CRDbYEqYN, thanks for you feedback about the default vault names! We've gone through a few iterations on what to call these vaults, but it's hard to name things in such a way that they work well for everyone 100% of the time :)

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions or questions!

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Aleen. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I just missed the option in the 1Password Menu.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It kind of blends in, doesn't it? ;)

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, it all does....

• Ben
    Options

We'll see what we can do about improving that. Thanks!

Ben

• heykipp
    heykipp
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, guys -

Thanks for the tips on deleting secondary vaults! Much appreciated.

I'll also chime in here. While I understand the original intent of not allowing users to delete Primary vaults, given that we now have 1Password for Families (which allows us to have personal vaults AND family vaults), having the local "primary" vault still sitting around (and syncing to my iPhone and other Macs via Dropbox) makes things a bit confusing.

Since all of my personal PWs are now stored in the cloud in my Teams account, why must I still have a local, "Primary" account? It's kind-of a strange UX, and seems extraneous at this point.

Just my 2 cents (which are worth about half a penny...). ;)

KC

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hey @heykipp

This is a very valid point. In the future we hope to make it much easier to A) migrate your existing data to Teams/Families and B ) to go into "Teams/Families-only mode." Currently these are each fairly manual processes, but since we have a large number of existing customers who have vaults on iCloud/Dropbox/local and will want to move to Teams/Families we definitely want to make doing so easier for them.

Thanks!

Ben

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    Options

How can I delete a vault from 1password for Teams?

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hello @zebdro!

Thanks for taking the time to pop in and ask! To delete a vault:

• click on your team name in the upper right corner
    • click Admin Console
    • click Vaults in the navigation bar
    • click on the vault you'd like to delete
    • click Delete Vault in the lower left side of the screen
    • confirm that you'd like to delete the vault

Please let us know if you have more questions :)

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @Aleen

Please see my screen grab here http://take.ms/KuhsR and point out to me where I should navigate to access the Delete Vault link?

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zebdro,

Ah, there's a qualifier I should have added: the "Shared" and "Personal" vaults cannot be deleted at this time. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that.

• zebdro
    zebdro
    Community Member
    Options

@Aleen Ah I thought that I must have named that vault "Shared". It's a default? That makes it a little more understandable… but still confusing.

• Ben
    Options

The "Personal" vault is created for each individual family member when they accept their invitation from the family admin to the Families account. The "Shared" vault is created for the Families account when you register for it. Both are defaults, cannot be renamed, and cannot be deleted, at present.

Sorry for any confusion. I hope that clears it up! But if you have any further questions or feedback please let us know. :)

Ben

• gporter
    gporter
    Community Member
    Options

I came to this thread looking for help on deleting the "Shared" vault and found I can't. I'd like to add a comment/request. I've been a longtime user of 1Password, love it. Just getting my family set up on 1Password for teams. Seems like a well-thought-out system, thanks for that. However I really would like the ability to at least rename the "Personal" and "Shared" vaults just like all the others. Not sure why there would be default vaults created automatically that can't be deleted or renamed.. it's confusing not only for me but for my family members that I am bringing onboard. Not a huge deal - the whole system is awesome and we're loving it. Just would really like to see that change for being able to at least rename, if not also delete any vaults we want.

Thanks for making a great product!!
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gporter: Since one of the chief reasons for the existence of 1Password for Families is sharing, the Shared vault is there by default and cannot be removed (along with each member's Personal vault). It may be something we change in the future, but not without careful consideration. As it stands now, Personal is only accessible to you, and Shared is accessible to the whole family. Simple!

We've actually discussed different ways of doing this (and naming them), because we want to make the distinction clear between the two. After all, it wouldn't be great if the Shared vault were called something else by default (or renamed by a family member) which caused you to accidentally save something you didn't want shared there!

I'm glad you're enjoying 1Password for Families, and I'd love to hear if you have any other suggestions! :)

• johnbeaty
    johnbeaty
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to delete the "Shared" vault in Familes, and create a new one named 'Family", editable by the appropriate members as well as "MyKid1" and "MyKid2" which they cannot edit. Adults have access to all the vaults with "All Vaults" and the kids only have access to their own shared vault and their private one. This seems to work, but I'll update as we get some experience with this setup. It is true that Personal vaults cannot be deleted or renamed (we should have the option to rename it to our username or something close), so in "all vaults" I see 2 personal vaults. However, I have emptied my non-Families personal vault so duplicates don't show up.

Thinking forward, "sub-vaults" for children that contain instances of information that are shared and that UPDATE when the parent login updates would be nice, rather than either copying and having to remember what is where. Especially for things like secure notes, and Software/Router information.

• sgruby
    sgruby
    Community Member
    Options

Is the ability to delete the Shared vault a change that was intended or a fluke? I like being able to delete it as my dad wants to share everything and I don't want that! If it is going to come back and haunt me, I want to be prepared for that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was able to delete the "Shared" vault in Familes, and create a new one named 'Family", editable by the appropriate members as well as "MyKid1" and "MyKid2" which they cannot edit. Adults have access to all the vaults with "All Vaults" and the kids only have access to their own shared vault and their private one. This seems to work, but I'll update as we get some experience with this setup. It is true that Personal vaults cannot be deleted or renamed (we should have the option to rename it to our username or something close), so in "all vaults" I see 2 personal vaults. However, I have emptied my non-Families personal vault so duplicates don't show up.
    Thinking forward, "sub-vaults" for children that contain instances of information that are shared and that UPDATE when the parent login updates would be nice, rather than either copying and having to remember what is where. Especially for things like secure notes, and Software/Router information.

@johnbeaty: This is a cool setup. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you. Personally, I've been a fan of inviting kids as Guests (with access only to a single shared vault), but obviously that setup won't be a good fit for everyone.

Ideally what we'd like to do is make it possible to link items across vault (and perhaps even account) boundaries. It's a difficult problem, but I hope we'll be able to find a solution that's both secure and easy to use.

Is the ability to delete the Shared vault a change that was intended or a fluke? I like being able to delete it as my dad wants to share everything and I don't want that! If it is going to come back and haunt me, I want to be prepared for that.

@sgruby: The ability to delete the Shared vault is intentional. Originally it was another non-modifiable default vault like Personal, but a lot of people gave us feedback that they wanted to be able to remove it completely or create another to replace it. I think it's still important to have it there by default to give people a sense of the possibilities of vault sharing, but we don't have any plans for a zombie shared vault that comes back from the dead after you kill it. The rest is up to you. ;)

• Mike_unique_username
    Options

If you have set up an account with 1Password then you can turn off the primary (local vault) by going to advanced settings and unticking the option for 'Local Vaults'.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed! We added that option a while back to make it for easier for folks who wanted to switch to using only the vaults in their 1Password Accounts. Cheers! :)

• sgruby
    sgruby
    Community Member
    Options

Does removing the Local vault option exist in 1Password for Families? I can't find the Advanced options.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sgruby: 1Password Families (or Teams, or an individual plan) does not use local vaults; rather, they are stored on the server.

So, for example, the only way you'll likely even have any local vaults is if you'd previously been using the standalone 1Password app with one or more local vaults prior to using 1Password Families. Then you sign up for 1Password Families, login to your account in the app, and your new 1Password Families vaults will be added alongside the preexisting local vaults. In which case, one you've migrated your data to your 1Password Account you can remove the local vault in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Advanced. I hope this helps! :)

• BWrites
    BWrites
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to remove the local vault on the iOS app yet? It's just in the way now that I've got 1Password for Families - I just found out I've been accidentally saving new passwords on my phone to the local vault so couldn't access those passwords on the desktop app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BWrites: Sorry for the confusion there! There isn't an one-step way of doing it, but if you reinstall the app you can set it up with your 1Password Account from the start and forego a local vault. Just be sure to move your the accidental items in your local vault to your 1Password Account first!

Alternatively, you can set a different default vault for saving in 1Password Settings > Vaults > All Vaults > Vault for saving. I hope this helps! :)

• BWrites
    BWrites
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Great - thanks for the help!

• On behalf of brenty, you are most welcome. :) We're here if you need anything else.

• pal4life
    pal4life
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Similar issue - I moved from an individual frozen account to a team account.
    I now have two vaults called Personal. I would like to be able to rename my original Personal vault or delete it altogather. Two personal vaults are creating too much confusion for me.

This is on Mac OS Sierra 10.12 , I also use the Chrome extension.

Thanks.

• Hi @pal4life,

If you don't want the frozen account's Personal vault, all you need to do is to remove the account under Preferences > Accounts. This assumes that you have no other vaults in your personal account. You should copy any items out of that vault that you want access to before removing the account.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.