1Password for Mac vs 1Password Family

Options
beninato
beninato
Community Member

I am currently using 1Password for Mac combined with iOS (30 day free trial that expires today). I want to include my wife and 2 kids (all Mac/iOS). I’m not sure if I should use your standard 1Password for Mac or the 1Password Family product. If we are a family of 4, can’t I just buy the $50 license and share it? What additional features do I gain or lose if I switch to the $5/month ($60/year) Family product?

Here’s the language from your licenses page at https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

“Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household. Licenses can not be transfered or re-sold.”

Seems that unless there are new features in the Family product, it's cheaper to go with the standard. What am I missing? I'd appreciate a rapid response as the trial is expiring today. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:which plan

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @beninato,

I'm glad to hear that you want to stick with 1Password, I'm a big fan myself! There are many advantages with 1Password for Families, specially for four people. If you get a Mac licence, it would only cover Mac, so for you mobile devices you'd either be on the free (not full) version or you'd have to buy the Pro features to complement it. With families you always get to use the newest version of the app on all of your devices for free. If anyone in your family were to get an Android phone in the future, for example, you'd be covered by your subscription. With Families you're able to share the content that you want. Finally, one more extra perk is that you never have to worry about syncing, and you can even access your information on other devices via their web app!

You can read more about it here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/

I hope this information helps you! :chuffed:

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Not for free. You will get it without any additional costs. :-)

In our family, we refer to things like this as being "included." ;) ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

With families you always get to use the newest version of the app on all of your devices for free.

Not for free. You will get it without any additional costs. :-)

In our family, we refer to things like this as being "included." ;) ;)

@dahanbn, @hawkmoth: Semantics. I love you guys. :lol:

Personally, I'm in Pilar's camp: I pay for a subscription either way, and get stuff that I'd otherwise have to pay for separately for free. But either way we're splitting hairs I don't have. :pirate:

• beninato
    beninato
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys, I am really struggling to figure out if I should go with the standalone version or 1Password for Families. Is there someone available that I can speak with for 5 minutes to figure this out? I don't seem to be getting the answers I need from the forums and I'm getting frustrated with trying to figure this out via forums, when it could be solved with a 5 minute phone call. I need to understand the real feature & price differences between the standalone and Family versions with a family of 4 all using Macs/iOS. I think I understand the price difference as $60 ($50 Mac + $10 iOS) for the standalone version for Mac/iOS, and I can use that with up to 6 family members. Or is it $60 for the 4 of us on Mac plus $10 each for iOS? That part is unclear. The Family version is $5/month or $60/year. But it's unclear to me what the feature differences are and what I would gain from going with the Family version. Above Pilar says "With Families you're able to share the content that you want." Does this mean that you can't share the content that you want with the standalone version? I really need some detailed help here. Thank you!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@beninato -

Or is it $60 for the 4 of us on Mac plus $10 each for iOS?

That's it, if you each have separate Apple IDs. Apple doesn't permit Family Sharing for in-app purchases.

Above Pilar says "With Families you're able to share the content that you want." Does this mean that you can't share the content that you want with the standalone version?

You can share information among family members if you sync with Dropbox. Apple doesn't permit sharing among different Apple IDs.

I don't think your questions are difficult to deal with on the forum. Just ask away.

• beninato
    beninato
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth Thanks for answering the pricing question. What I am trying to understand is the feature differences between the standalone and Family versions. Not the "marketing speak" that describes easy sharing with family members, etc. But the very specific features that are different between the two. Most companies would have a grid that shows feature by feature what is included in each version. Am I going to be missing something great if I go with standalone vs. Family? Are they exactly the same product just different pricing models? That is what I am trying to get at, and I'm now on my 6th or 7th post (both here and on the original blog post announcing it) trying to figure it out. I work in technology, so it shouldn't be so hard to figure this out! Thanks!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi @beninato,

I'm sorry for the frustration. We're still a relatively small team, and as such we don't have a call center that can handle inbound phone calls. We make every effort to address issues here, via the discussion forums. This makes it possible for other folks who are searching to find the answer as well. If you have to ask the question, it is likely other folks have that question as well. That said, we can provide support on a more individual basis if after conversing here the problem cannot be resolved in public discussion forums (either due to sensitive nature, overly specific answer to your setup, etc).

Some of the things you get with Families, that you do not get with our standalone products:

• Access to all of the compatible apps (w/ Pro features in the case of iOS) and free upgrades for the life of your subscription. The standalone apps require a purchase for each platform, and major upgrades may have a price tag at our discretion.
    • A second layer of security: the account key. Understanding the Account Key. Plus we've put a huge amount of energy in building secure infrastructure. You can read more about that in our 1Password for Teams security whitepaper (Families is built on the same infrastructure).
    • While 1Password data can be synced / shared with the standalone products (synced via Dropbox, iCloud, or WiFi; shared via Dropbox only) this can be a fairly cumbersome task to set up and maintain. Much of the reason 1Password for Families (and 1Password for Teams) exists is because of feedback we've received from customers about the use of the aformentioned sync & sharing difficulties. As such 1Password for Families / Teams is built with this in mind and makes these tasks very easy.
    • A web interface to view and interact with your data. This makes 1Password accessible from just about any platform. While we'd love to have native clients ( / standalone apps) for all of the platforms out there, it just isn't practical. So... have a Chromebook? A Linux machine? We don't have standalone apps for those platforms (at least not yet), but you can access your data through the convenient web UI. This can also be very handy if you have to use a computer (perhaps a computer at work) where you cannot install software.

To wrap this post up I have two final comments:

1) I'm sure I've missed something, and I apologize in advance for that. 1Password for Families is brand spanking new (we haven't even implemented billing quite yet) and as such is still a bit of a moving target. We're making improvements and adding features very rapidly. Any chart we could build would likely be outdated next week, let alone next month.
    2) Both 1Password for Families and our standalone apps have fully functional free trials. You're welcome to try out both solutions and see first hand which works better for you and your family. I'd have to recommend 1Password for Families to anyone who has lots of devices and/or wants to share data with their family, though.

I hope that helps!

Ben

Edit: I knew I'd miss something! It is also worth mentioning that we'll (once billing is implemented) be offering a 20% discount for accounts that opt to pay annually instead of monthly.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff is the pro upgrade on Android included as well?

• Ben
    Options

It is, yes. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.