Adding documents in 1PW for Windows (beta)

Options
MDBrown
MDBrown
Community Member

For a brief period I used 1PW4 for Windows (the trial version). During that period, I was able to add files as attachments to items in my vault. The process was clear and easy.

Then I subscribed to 1PW for Families, and installed the Windows 10 Beta version on my pc. There doesn't seem to be a way to add documents at all. First i created a 'Driver license' item. My intent was to attach a scanned copy of my DL, but there doesn't seem to be an 'add attachment' or 'add document' button.

So then I tried to create a 'Document' item. I can name the 'Document' item, but again there is no option to browse for or upload a file.

I'm confused. If this feature worked in the old 1PW4 version, it seems like it should work in the new Win10 beta version. Am I missing something? Is there no way to add a document through the Windows version? This is a critical need for me. And I'm sure for many other users too.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    Options

As a followup, I have a suggestion. In another post, @rob wrote:

If you are looking for a stable solution for your family to use right now, you need to use 1Password 4 for Windows and sync vaults through Dropbox.

Since 1Password 4 for Windows is the only stable Windows version, why not just allow people who subscribe to Families or Teams to just download it as needed, as part of the subscription package? For my $5 per month subscription, you're already allowing me to install 1PW on as many devices and platforms as I need, and you're going to quickly make more from my subscription than the cost of the 1PW 4 for Windows version. As far as I could tell, 1PW 4 for Windows worked fine with my Families subscription. It seems like that would provide Windows users with a satisfactory Win version, at least u till you finish developing the new Win10 beta.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For a brief period I used 1PW4 for Windows (the trial version). During that period, I was able to add files as attachments to items in my vault. The process was clear and easy. Then I subscribed to 1PW for Families, and installed the Windows 10 Beta version on my pc. There doesn't seem to be a way to add documents at all. So then I tried to create a 'Document' item. I can name the 'Document' item, but again there is no option to browse for or upload a file.

@MDBrown: I'm sorry of the confusion! The 1Password for Windows 10 beta does not yet support adding attachments or documents.

I'm confused. If this feature worked in the old 1PW4 version, it seems like it should work in the new Win10 beta version. Am I missing something? Is there no way to add a document through the Windows version? This is a critical need for me. And I'm sure for many other users too.

That's the plan! But to be clear, there's a reason it's a beta. It's brand new app which will run on any Windows 10 device (including tablets and phones), which is something not possible with the 1Password for Windows desktop app you've enjoyed using. We're working hard on adding features to it, but it isn't quite finished yet.

Since 1Password 4 for Windows is the only stable Windows version, why not just allow people who subscribe to Families or Teams to just download it as needed, as part of the subscription package? For my $5 per month subscription, you're already allowing me to install 1PW on as many devices and platforms as I need, and you're going to quickly make more from my subscription than the cost of the 1PW 4 for Windows version. As far as I could tell, 1PW 4 for Windows worked fine with my Families subscription. It seems like that would provide Windows users with a satisfactory Win version, at least u till you finish developing the new Win10 beta.

This is a great suggestion! I can't promise that right now, but it's certainly something we can consider. First and foremost, we're working hard on an updated 1Password for Windows desktop app with 1Password for Teams/Families support. But one concern would be that we wouldn't want to simply put a link in the 1Password for Families/Teams web interface to download an app that doesn't support it yet. We wouldn't want to give people a false impression or make them feel like they're paying for a subscription and getting an app they can't use to access it.

That said, I think there's a case to be made that a 1Password for Windows desktop license would be useful to you and others who wish to use local vaults and sync-it-yourself while we roll out support across all platforms. It will be a while before anyone is paying a subscription for 1Password (as part of the early adopter bonuses), but as we approach that we'll keep this in mind. Thanks for the feedback, and be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.