Slow Dropbox vault sync on a new Android device

Options
dJe781
dJe781
Community Member

Hello there!

I ran into some problems with my phone, so I had to perform a factory reset. Here I am, setting up Dropbox and 1Password, thinking that I'll be good to go with a fully synced vault on my Android system in no time.

Unfortunately, the syncing process is just too long. I have more than 3000 files in my 1Password.agilekeychain\data\default folder and no more than a hundred items have been synced over the last hour, even though the WiFi is up and running.

Could you guys tell me how I can jump-start the syncing process? I just don't want to wait.

1Password Version: 1Password 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.1.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dJe781: I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with your phone, and that you're having a bit of a wait while Dropbox syncs your data back. I'm not sure what you mean by "jump start" though.

Unfortunately the initial sync can take some time — especially with large vaults. But once it's complete, further changes will be incremental. Dropbox sometimes throttles the connection when a lot of data is requested at once (sometimes resulting in an error), so there isn't anything that 1Password can do to pull the data faster than it's being sent I'm afraid.

You can, however, generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to see if there is some error shown:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'.

And finally, while we don't have any control over Dropbox, I've found that with 1Password for Families I get my data onto a new device much faster and easier, so that may interest you as well. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions!

• dJe781
    dJe781
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty for your swift response.

It seems to me that the speed of the initial sync is critical since logging back in every app can be very time consuming, especially when a. you have a different password for every app, and b. you don't know any of them.

I understand that the Dropbox sync is out of your hands. When I talk about a "jump start", I mean working around the progressive sync of Dropbox. Maybe I can do manually quickly what Dropbox does progressively on its own, perhaps by zipping my whole vault from my computer and unzipping it in some location on my Android system. I've tried this method, but 1Password for Android doesn't seem to acknowledge the presence of the files it hadn't synced yet.

I've sent the diagnostics report like you advised.

Like I said in the mail I've just sent, I don't care if the quickest way to sync my vault means getting technical. What matters to me is to be able to do it fast.

• peri
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks @dJe781. I'll take a look and get back to you soon! :)
    ref: FVF-95178-565

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Not just new Android devices. I deleted 300 items (mainly old passwords) from the trash in 1Password on my Mac that took just a few seconds to upload to DropBox via wi-fi. I decided to fire up the Android version that duly reported there were 300 changes to make as expected.

An hour later it was still downloading and it didn't seem right so I restarted the phone and when I tried again it reported there were 257 changes left to make. A long time later I repeated this exercise and found there were still 218 changes to make.

This looks like a day long challenge to complete the changes over wi-fi with a 76mbps connection. It doesn't help either that 1Password for Android still wants to download every attachment whenever the app starts again. It's time the sync issues were sorted out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

An hour later it was still downloading and it didn't seem right so I restarted the phone and when I tried again it reported there were 257 changes left to make. A long time later I repeated this exercise and found there were still 218 changes to make.

@ashleyk: Okay that really doesn't seem right. Please send diagnostics as I suggested above so we can see if there's something we can do to improve this. Thanks in advance!

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I actually sent in a report last night because 1Password stopped working when I clicked on a couple of settings while it was synching with Dropbox. I was hoping to find a trash option and delete it on the Android to save time. At time of writing there are still 93 updates waiting to sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ashleyk: Thanks for following up! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure anyone would argue that that sounds normal. I'm not actually seeing anything from this email address, so if you can post the Support ID you received we can track it down and take a look at that. Cheers! :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@brenty I never received any support ID so I have just sent it again from the same email a minute ago. It should reference my device, which is a Vodafone Ultra 6 Plus.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

OK just received a support ID this time and it's ID is [#ZQM-82291-152]

Now 47 items left but it has taken hours and hours to download something that only took two seconds to change on the Mac.

• peri
    Options

Thanks, @ashleyk. We'll take a look and get back to you. :)

This discussion has been closed.