Access to vault after death

Options
IanMa
IanMa
Community Member

I am fully aware that when I die my master password needs to be passed to my next of kin for them to access my vault and you recommend a bank vault or something of this ilk that is very secure.
I am looking for a more practical electronic solution so I have set-up my daughter (next of kin) with a 'family' vault and in that I have placed my master password. This way I can update it knowing my daughter will always have access to my current master password.
This means that my daughter always has a copy of my master password but she does not have a copy of my opvault as that sits in my Dropbox that she does not know the password for as this is within my opvault.
We are now in a vicious circle and would like to know how I can share both my master password and opvault so she has full control of my password. I could share the Dropbox folder that contains the opvault but this sounds to easy.
Are there any solutions similar to iPasswordAnywhere that would allow her to get to all my data with just my master password?

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• CalfeeRider
    CalfeeRider
    Community Member
    Options

My thoughts on this are that there are already paper documents your daughter will need (if you're in the US) after your death; e.g., your will or your trust, in order to manage your estate. I don't remember which of them must be the notarized original, but that is the case for one of them. So, you should be able to leave a copy of an "emergency kit" that provides her access to a "legacy" vault (curious that in the software business "legacy" means outmoded and not usable, whereas in the human condition sphere, it's used in almost an opposite sense, something that will only become important in the future!).
    Does that make sense?

• CalfeeRider
    CalfeeRider
    Community Member
    Options

Whoops, didn't finish one critical sentence: you leave the "emergency kit" that provides access to your electronic self in the same secure place that you keep your will and trust; maybe at a bank, maybe in a locked personal safe at home with a physical key having been given to your daughter already.

Of course, two decades from now it may be that your daughter will gain access to your stuff not by pulling a piece of paper from a safety deposit box, but by a quick DNA scan at a nearby Starbucks that queries a cloud-based whole-planet registry when she walks through the door (my son often says that the world will end once no one on the planet is out of site of at least one Starbucks), or perhaps by having the FBI spending a few seconds with her "secure" iPhone.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @IanMa,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We have a discussion happening on this subject here, that may interest you. There is no "one size fits all" solution to this sort of thing, but there have been some interesting points made there.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.