iOS & Windows family - not sure what to do. Need help understanding

Options
rmac1775
rmac1775
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Families

Hello,

My wife and I have been using 1Password on our iPhone 6s and we absolutely love it. When we received the email about 1Password for Families we shared the exciting news with our parents. My parents both have older iPhones but would really prefer to be able to use 1Password for Families through their Windows desktop & tablet. My in-laws are android users, so they would probably want it on their android phones but also be able to use it on their Windows desktop.

Now the way I interpret the way the family plan works is I sign up and can invite both sets of parents to join and by joining my family plan they don't have to pay for using the app on their phones; but they would NOT be able to use the Windows app. Is that correct? I see the comment about "if you use Windows 10, we invite you to install our brand new app from the Windows Store" but if they do that, would that be included into the family subscription? My father made it pretty clear that until they can use Windows app, they aren't all that interested in being part of the family package. So I'm just trying to understand if I should sign up now and yes they can use the Windows app as part of the plan, or if I need to wait until we see an announcement that Windows is part of the package.

Also I have a Windows 10 desktop, and when I saw 1Password available in the app store, I downloaded it to the pc but obviously it doesn't take my existing account information for my iOS account. If I sign up on the family plan, would it all of the sudden accept my existing account?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @rmac1775,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! The current state of 1Password for Families on Windows is in flux. If you're interested in a bit of "light reading" we're having a spirited discussion about it here:

Families need a Windows solution - AgileBits Support Forum

To summarize:

• 1Password for Families can be accessed through the web from most modern web browsers on most operating systems (including Windows)
    • 1Password for Windows 10, our new app available from the Windows Store but currently in beta, is a great way to access 1Password for Families data, if you have Windows 10. Most of the features relevant to Families are currently available, but you may find a rough edge or missing feature here or there. I should point out, though, that currently items can only be filled within 1Browser, a web browser built into the 1Password app. This is a limitation of Windows 10 sandboxing. We hope to be able to offer browser extensions via this app in the future, but currently filling can only happen in 1Browser.
    • Currently there is no native application available to access Families data from Windows 7/8. This is coming, but we don't currently have anything (even in beta) available. Our Windows team is working on making this available as quickly as possible, but it is going to take some time.

(we do not attempt to share timelines for upcoming products or features)

So, is 1Password for Families right for your family, given that you use Windows?

• If you use Windows 10, and don't mind using 1Browser, then I personally think it is a no-brainer. Yes, absolutely.
    • If you are using previous versions of Windows, you can still access your data through the web interface, but some of our handy features such as form filling are not going to be available until the new Windows 7/8 application appears. So I'd say the answer there is "maybe." You'll be living through some growing pains with us.

In either case you're certainly welcome to sign up for an account, give it a try, and see if it is a fit. If after playing with it for 30 days you decide it isn't for you then no harm no foul. Any data you leave in the Families account will go into a read-only mode, and can be reactivated in the future (perhaps when we have a stable Windows 7/8 offering that is compatible).

Ultimately I think 1Password for Families will be a great fit for you, regardless of what platforms you are using, but if you are using Windows 7/8 I'd understand if you held off on subscribing until we have an application for that platform.

but if they do that, would that be included into the family subscription?

Yes! Sorry for any confusion on that point. It is a free download from the Windows Store. Once installed you can sign into your Families account with it.

Also I have a Windows 10 desktop, and when I saw 1Password available in the app store, I downloaded it to the pc but obviously it doesn't take my existing account information for my iOS account. If I sign up on the family plan, would it all of the sudden accept my existing account?

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Have you already created a 1Password for Families account? And you're unable to sign into it from the Windows 10 app, but can from iOS? Please let me know -- we'd be happy to help troubleshoot.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.