PSA: Schwab now accepts passwords with uppercase letters, symbols and longer than 8 characters.

Options
Nunuv Yurbiz
Nunuv Yurbiz
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Unbelievably, until recently Charles Schwab passwords were limited to 8 numbers and letters, and were case insensitive. I just discovered that they now accept passwords up to 238 characters, with symbols, and passwords are now case sensitive. Apparently this changed sometime late last year. Sure, sure, they used other methods to support their short passwords, like phone verifications, but this is a huge improvement.

*PSA=public service announcement

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Nunuv Yurbiz,

That's the sort of thing we love to hear! :chuffed: Good on Charles Schwab because such a move can only benefit their customers. Let's hope it's just one of many moves towards better protection for all of our online accounts.

I can think of a couple of UK based institutes that I'd like to see follow this path of sensibility.

• Ben
    Options

As a Schwab customer myself I was very happy to see this change. Thanks for thinking to share it here!

On the other hand I know they used to support multi-step authentication via a hardware token. I can no longer find the option to sign up for that on their site. :( It would be great if they eventually implemented TOTP.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Heh. Awesome. I had not seen that. I knew their password policies were extremely weak, but I had not seen the bit about MFA. Nice.

Thanks for sharing!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.