Auto-Submit Feature Request

Options

I like the auto-submit feature, except when creating a new password and using 1P to generate a password. In that case I usually want to review the info I've entered on the page before submitting. Perhaps you could add a setting for not auto-submitting when using the 'generate pwd' function? Perhaps a checkbox on that panel which would remember its setting...
Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:auto-submit

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pixeldroid 1Password should not submit when filling a generated password. In fact in our code, this is explicitly avoided and only Login types are allowed any sort of autosubmit logic. Is this happening for you every time you use the password generator or just on a few sites?

Could you let us know the exact steps you're taking that trigger this? Are you generating the password as a standalone password or are you generating a fresh password in a Login item?

One trick that some folks don't know is that if you hold the option key down when you select a Login from the 1Password extension for filling, it temporarily toggles the autosubmit setting. So, if have autosubmit enabled and you usually want to submit a Login you're filling but want to review things after a particular operation, click the 1Password button in your browser toolbar, hold the option key, and then click the login to fill.

Thanks!

• pixeldroid
    pixeldroid
    Community Member
    Options

When I setup a new account at a website I use RMB/1Password/Generate Password. I then copy it to the clipboard and close the panel. If the rest of the info in the form is filled out, 1Password definitely submits the form. That is what motivated me to find and disable the auto-submit setting.
    I'll re-enable auto-submit and check out the option key modifier.
    Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @pixeldroid,

We'd like to try and replicate this given what you're saying but to do so can we learn a bit more about your setup please to make sure we're testing the right versions.

1. What operating system do you use and what version are you running?
    2. What version of 1Password are you running?
    3. What is your preferred browser and the version of that browser?
    4. What version of the 1Password extension is installed?
    5. Do you have a site where you have experienced this lately and can I ask what the URL is please.

That information should allow us to test using the same setup and with a little luck we can reproduce what you're seeing.

• pixeldroid
    pixeldroid
    Community Member
    Options

Hi:
    I am on Windows7 Pro x64, working with Chrome, Opera, and FFox.
    I generally allow 1P to update itself, I don't know what goes on w/browser extensions these days - it seem like they all update themselves.
    I have re-enabled auto-submit and will be on the watch for the next time I encounter the situation described.

Regarding bypass of auto-submit, if I press 'alt' on windows, the 1P menu closes. If I press 'Ctrl' when submitting, I get a message that the password has been copied to the clipboard. Is this what your are suggesting with the 'option' key above (presumably for Mac)?
    Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pixeldroid,

The majority of our users are Mac users so Jamie was likely just working with the odds as we didn't know what platform you were on. I don't believe 1Password for Windows has the same feature so it seems like the way to go is to wait and see when you can find an example of a site that does this. We never close a thread although if a thread has no activity for months and months the forums do eventually close threads but it isn't a fast thing so you should find this thread is open when you find a site and want to report it. We'll then investigate :smile:

This discussion has been closed.