Before we move to teams, understanding how it affects current users

Options
Cjones
Cjones
Community Member

I think I understand pretty well what it means to move to Teams from a "normal" 1Password set up, but I just want to be sure. I've been a 1Password user since the 1st version and have a lot of passwords and trust tied up in this product, just want to make sure I don't screw up anything.

I work at a company with 15 of us that I want to move over to 1Password. I've gotten approval to do this but have a few questions as I contemplate going the "normal" or Teams route.

1. If an employee leaves and they have been using 1Password to save personal details (to their own personal vault), are they able to take that with them? I would imagine that they could do a backup/export of just that vault?
  2. There are a couple of us that do use 1Password already. Am I correct in understanding that my data currently in Dropbox will be untouched unless I take the steps to migrate that data to my Teams account? Basically, my 1Password continues to work like it always has but with the Teams account adds an additional layer on top that gives access to the online/web app?
  3. What would happen with our password data we ever stopped using Teams and kept using the non-teams 1Password?
  4. I was testing with a colleague by signing her up for a new Team account in our Team. It seems she can't create her own vaults unless she changes her preferences in the Mac App under "Advanced" to "Enable Personal Vaults". Is this right? If so do you have any more details? I want to make sure I can explain properly how each employee can manage company and personal vaults and what they can "take with them" if they ever leave (as related to question 3).

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Daniel_BCF
    Daniel_BCF
    Community Member
    Options

+1 :)

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @Cjones! Glad to hear you're interested in Teams. :) I'd be happy to answer your questions about it.

1. It depends on how they set things up. They can have a local vault for their personal matters if they'd like, or they can use the Personal vault in their Teams account. If they do the latter, they can indeed export things, either to a local vault or to a CSV if they decide not to use 1Password in the future.
    2. That's correct. If you decide to migrate your data to Teams, it will be available there in the future. Until then, it's still in Dropbox. You can sign in to your Teams account in, for example, 1Password for Mac, but that doesn't automatically move over your data. You'll need to follow the steps mentioned in the guide I just linked to for things to be moved over.
    3. The data in your Teams account will become read-only. You can move it to a local vault if you'd like, so long as you haven't been denied access to the account. So, when someone leaves, you can restrict their access to every vault on the account, and they'll be able to move things out of their Personal one.
    4. If you decide to start using a 1Password app with Teams only, a local vault will not be added. You can enable local vaults, which we call "personal vaults" in Preferences, by clicking that button your colleague mentioned. You can, of course, use your Personal vault in Teams rather than a local one. It's entirely up to the person. The only thing that happens when they sign out of their Teams account is they will need to purchase a license for the app to continue using it (apps are included with Teams).

Hopefully that helps answer your questions. Let us know if you have any others!

• Cjones
    Cjones
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, that helps. Thanks!

• Jacob
    Options

@Cjones Glad to hear it. :) Let us know if you have any other questions or feedback about Teams.

This discussion has been closed.