Problem with sites where the login page is a second page.

Options

Some of my websites have the login page as the second page, http://www.macupdate.com is and example, http://www.lowes.com is another. Sometimes when this happens I can double click on the LogIn icon and the sign in page will open and fill, but other times I cannot. How can I get 1Password to handle situations like this? Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.2-beta3
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OSX10.10.5
Sync Type: iCould
Referrer: forum-search:Some of my websites have the login page as the second page, http://www.macupdate.com is and example, http://www.lowes.com is another. Sometimes when this happens I can double click on the LogIn icon and the sign in page will open and fill, but other times I cannot. How can I get 1Password to handle situations like this? Thank you.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @drwater,

So it seems you're referring to sites that make use of a modal window, one where the user needs to click a button to make it visible. In general 1Password should be able to fill these login windows once they're visible on the screen but the action of making it visible is left to the user. The more sites I look at the more I realise how much designs can vary. Some will have the fields for the invisible window contained on the page so that while we as the user can't see them 1Password knows they are there. Some construct the window on the fly using JavaScript so the fields simply don't exist until the correct button or link has been clicked.

The only sure-fired way I know to have 1Password fill is if you either have a dedicated login page, like Amazon for example or to click the login button and make the login window visible before trying to fill.

Now in the two examples you supplied I can say that MacUpdate do have a dedicated page as that is what I have stored in my Login item and the URL for the page is https://www.macupdate.com/member/login. If you use this URL in your Login item you should find you can use open and fill. Lowes is slightly different but there is a URL that might work in a similar way. The URL is https://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LogonFormNavIframeS?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&URL=http://www.lowes.com/&protocol=http and it's URL that the IFrame on their page points to. Basically what they're doing is when you click the Sign In button in the top left hand corner it's bring up the small window and that small window is a complete page in itself, in fact it's the one that URL represents. So it's entirely possible that using that URL will let you log in but I don't have an account with them to confirm this.

Does this help at all?

• drwater
    drwater
    Community Member
    Options

I see what you are saying. How did you find the URL for the Lowes sign up page? I have been using Password Wallet for years, but my computer consultant recommended switching to 1Password, which I am trying to do. As you may know, in Password Wallet one can specify which browser is opened for a given site. My default browser is Safari, but some of my sites do better with other browsers. Is there a way to specify a browser with 1Password, or do you recommend opening the browser first, then using 1Password? Finally, are you making any progress in eliminating the spinning beachball when first opening 1Password? Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @drwater,

One of the things that I now do on a regular basis that nobody would expect the average person to be doing is looking at the source of web pages. When I inspected the actual HTML for Lowes login page what I found was they were using an IFrame as I mentioned before and one of the attributes of the IFrame element is called src and it points to the location of what should go in this IFrame. That's how I stumbled upon the URL but as you can imagine, it's not something most people would contemplate or want to do, it just happens we spend a lot of time looking at the actual HTML when we try to improve how we fill.

We don't currently have a way of specifying a browser because the way that open and fill works is we pass the URL to OS X and it always passes it to the default browser. This only applies when you're clicking the website field from inside the main 1Password window though. If you bring up the 1Password mini menu from inside the browser and search for the Lowes Login item that open and fill would also open a new tab inside of the active browser as the extension is involved in a different way.

Another option that I use myself is a small application called Browser Fairy which is available in Apple's Mac App Store. I have it set up so that it always asks me which browser to pass a URL to when I click a website field from inside 1Password. I use it to test open and fill over the supported browsers whereas what I had to do before was keep changing the default browser. You might not find it useful or unhappy that you can't try it without paying (one of the weaknesses of the Mac App Store), I only mention it as I find it does work for my needs.

As for the last issue. I've heard we've had a couple of causes, do you have a specific thread that you're referring to and I'll certainly see where we stand with the progress. I know for one cause we're looking for people to help us by running a beta version of 1Password which will collect more information as we still haven't pinned down the cause (and I see you're running the beta) but I've heard for some that it was other causes and they were resolved by version 6.1. If you're suffering the one where we're still trying to collect that vital bit of information then you might be able to help us discover the cause and we can finally get it fixed. It will depend on if you've reported this and if we've connected it with a particular bug report.

• drwater
    drwater
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct about the url, I am sure I could not find it on my own. Interestingly, when I used the url you sent me, only a blank page opened. In the future, I will open the page with 1Password, then click on "Sign In" and when that page opens, click on iPassword again. My solution to the browser problem was to put Firefox in the name of the login, so I know that I will have to open Firefox first, then 1Password. Finally, earlier I had an email exchange with Sean Foster, #DUE-89176-746, when he suggested I use the latest beta. The problem is better, but not gone. I sent in a diagnostic with #DUE-89176-746 mentioned in the email. I don't know if this was received or was any help. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drwater,

Thank you for the ticket ID. I checked the ticket out and I don't know why but I don't see a diagnostic report attached to it. I then searched out ticketing system based on the email address you contacted us on and I couldn't see any other tickets but this one so sadly I have to report I don't know what happened to the diagnostic report. Did Sean ask you to send in a diagnostic report or did somebody in our forums ask? It seems like we'll need to ask you to try sending it in again but just before I do I want to make sure that if there were any special steps before you do so that both you and I are up to speed :smile:

• drwater
    drwater
    Community Member
    Options

Sean asked me to email a diagnostic report. Should I do it again and is the ticket ID okay?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @drwater,

The ticket ID is definitely valid, I found your ticket straight away so yes please, can you try sending in a diagnostic report if Sean asked and he'll get notified when it arrives. If you want you can also let me know when you've done so here in the forums and I can check the ticket and see if it comes through.

• drwater
    drwater
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, but I am embarrassed to say I have forgotten where where the "Send diagnostic" command is.

• drwater
    drwater
    Community Member
    Options

I finally remembered that there was a separate app for creating a diagnostic report, so I have done that. Both you and Sean should be able to find it. I coded it [#DUE-89176-746]

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drwater,

I don't know why but something is silently stopping your diagnostic report from getting through. I checked when you posted this and nothing so left it a little longer just in case there was a delay. There's still not a new email showing as coming from you.

When you create a diagnostic report there's the option of clicking a button titled Create New Mail Message... which automates the part of creating a new email and attaching the diagnostic report. You can also click on the icon to the side of that button though and it brings up a Finder window and you will be able to see the ZIP file that we attach to the email. Can you try finding the diagnostic report file and altering the filename please so instead of it ending in .zip it ends in .txt and seeing if sending this "txt" file works any better. Just in case Sean sees it before I do in the email can you mention what I asked you to try just so you don't get an email saying something like "sorry but you've sent us a text file instead of the ZIP file". I'm wondering if maybe your mail provider won't let you send ZIP files as some do get twitchy about it. One way or another we'll find a way to get this diagnostic report and get you the help you need :smile:

• drwater
    drwater
    Community Member
    Options

I did all of that and hope it got through this time. I use Apple Mail if that is important to you.

Another problem has surfaced. Should I report it using this thread or is it better to start a new inquiry?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @drwater,

I would say a new thread :smile: If it's specific to the Mac application, such as the spinning beach ball issue then for maximum exposure and the best advice you would want to post in the Mac section while if it's related to a filling issue you'd want to post in this section again. By separating the issues out we can make sure focus is kept on that issue and if others are facing the problem too there's a better chance they'll find your post when they search. In theory it should help you, us and others, at least in theory :smile:

I've checked your ticket and there's still no sign of the email! I know you must be getting frustrating because this is maddening me too. Sending us a diagnostic report shouldn't feel like you're traversing an assault course. I'll contact you shortly with another suggestion to see if we can find a way to obtain this diagnostic report.

This discussion has been closed.