Managing multiple vaults/accounts

Options
AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password stand-alone vs Teams vs Family licenses.

Comments

• cececannavo
    cececannavo
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi - I have a related question. I am an AVID 1 Password user. I have an account for my husband and I set up and synching to Dropbox. Thanks for such a great product - it has simplified life TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!!!!!

I would like to try setting up 1PW for Teams at work. We have about 150 employees and several divisions. How would I be able to switch between the two separate accounts on my laptop and phone? I definitely don't want to cross up the data between work and personal!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cececannavo: You're in luck! You can totally use both Dropbox (with your existing local vaults) and 1Password for Teams. I do!

The most important thing to do when you have multiple vaults like this (especially when they're for very different purposes) is to set the "Vault for Saving" option properly in 1Password for Mac (Preferences > All Vaults) and/or 1Password for iOS (Settings > Vaults > All Vaults). For example, I have this set to a personal vault, and then I can switch to another when saving (or move the item to the appropriate vault after) to avoid mishaps. I hope this helps! :)

• cececannavo
    cececannavo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brently - so you switch your sac by prefs every time you use 1PW?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cececannavo: Any time! I find that I rarely need to switch. You might have slightly different needs, but I don't even save new logins that often...and when I do, I mostly want to save them to my own personal vault. So on occasion when I need to save (or update) something for work or a family member, I just switch to that vault to do it. :pirate:

• cececannavo
    cececannavo
    Community Member
    Options

OK – I understand. I don't want my passwords under the same login I have a separate login for the work stuff versus my personal. The work account will be for the office and my coworkers. The personal this is me and my family separate accounts, separate emails.

I think the situation you are describing is one account with different Vaults set up Which is different than the question I'm asking. But thank you for your input.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cececannavo: I hope you don't mind, but I've split this off into a separate discussion so we can focus on your situation.

The work account will be for the office and my coworkers. The personal this is me and my family separate accounts, separate emails.

I'm not sure how this makes any difference, so please let me know if I'm missing something. In 1Password, you can have many vaults. Some can be local, some can sync with a 3rd party service, and some can be accessed from one or more 1Password for Teams/Families accounts.

I think the situation you are describing is one account with different Vaults set up Which is different than the question I'm asking.

Not necessarily. I've got multiple 1Password for Teams/Families accounts, iCloud, and Dropbox vaults. Since I have a main "personal" vault that I use 90% of the time (especially for saving new logins), that's the one I set as default. And then if I happen to need to save a new login for work (for example), I simply select that vault in 1Password for Mac to save it there.

That's what works for me, but be sure to let me know more about what you're trying to do so we can find a setup that works for you! :)

• cececannavo
    cececannavo
    Community Member
    Options

This isn't making a whole lot of sense to me - but maybe I am doing something unusual.

I have a Mac lap top that I use for work & for personal. I already have a personal 1PW account set up on that that I want to leave in place.

I went online and set up a Team Account for 1PW. I can view it online but how would I be able to view it on my laptop in 1PW? Or maybe I can't? I have not yet tried to set it up on the PC I use at work which would be where I use it most.

Can I have them both available on my laptop? I'm wondering the same about my phone (which would be amazing). I can't find any support phone number or any other info on how to do this.

Also - where the heck do I reset my Master Password on the website? Or maybe I can only do that in the app.

• cececannavo
    cececannavo
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhh I found the answer : ) Easy enough to do - We'll see how well I can navigate between all the vaults

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58928/had-an-existing-personal-account-but-just-created-account-for-teams#latest

• Jacob
    Options

@cececannavo Glad you found the answer so quickly. :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.