Switching Phones - Password not accepted

Options
brewpat
brewpat
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Android

I'm trying to switch phones. I have a Nexus 6P that has a cosmetic blemish that I'm swapping out for a new Nexus 6P.

I can sign into 1password just fine on the first phone. I create a backup (sync) on the phone, then copy the 1password folder to the new phone and try to restore the vault. When I enter the master password, I'm told it's not correct. It IS correct and it IS still working on the first phone.

I've also tried the same thing on my windows 10 computer and again, I'm told my master password is incorrect when it's IS correct.

Again, I can still access my vault on the 1password program on the original phone using the password I'm entering on the other two devices with no success.

Please advise.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: local
Referrer: forum-search:master password

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @brewpat. I'll be happy to help get things sorted out here.

First off, can you let us know if you're using any special characters in your Master Password?

Also, how did you transfer the vault from your old 6P to the PC and the new 6P? Can you verify that a file called encryptionKeys.js exists in the copied vault at /1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/?

• brewpat
    brewpat
    Community Member
    Options

i figured it out... however, i don't know what the issue is/was.

upon further examination of the encryptionKeys.js that i JUST copied to my computer this morning, i noticed that the "last modified" date was from back in November of 2015. this depsite a sync prior to coping the file(s).

i punched in an old password and it worked. i WOULD like to know why the encryptionKeys.js file isn't updating... but at least i didn't lose anything.

i would note that despite the OLD age of the encryptionKeys.js file, i have all of my information in the program - even entries i made within the last week or so - so the only file that's apparently NOT updating is the encryptionKeys.js file.

• peri
    Options

Hi @brewpat. Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to unlock your vault with the old Master Password.

There is a known issue on Android where changing the Master Password from 1Password on Android doesn't update the encryptionKeys.js file, and therefore the Master Password change won't sync. It looks like this is what's happened here. I'll pass this along to the developers with regards to that issue.
    ref: OPA-386

Now that you were able to migrate the vault onto your PC, you can change the Master Password using 1Password 4 for Windows, and this will update the encryptionKeys.js file. Then you'll be able to copy that folder onto your new 6P and unlock it with the new Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.