How does 1password work across platforms?

Options
TaylorDeschanel
TaylorDeschanel
Community Member

I have a Mac, iPhone, Ipad and a PC and would like to use 1Password. I am a bit confused regarding what to buy. If I buy it for windows, does that mean I cannot use it on my Mac or iPhone and vica versa.

Is there a package where I can use it across all my devices?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

There is a Mac + Windows package, available on the AgileBits site.

The ONLY way of obtaining 1PW for iOS is from the iOS App Store (either using iTunes on the Mac to download, or using the App Store on an iOS device; be careful not to confuse the iOS App Store with theMac App Store). The basic iOS version is free, with an in-app purchase for extra features. As long as you use the same Apple ID for both iPhone and iPad, one purchase covers both devices.

• TaylorDeschanel
    TaylorDeschanel
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I dont understand. You are saying if I wanted to access, lets say my gmail, I can only do it if I am on my PC (if I just bought that one) and cannot on my mac or phone?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@TaylorDeschanel -

You are saying if I wanted to access, lets say my gmail, I can only do it if I am on my PC (if I just bought that one) and cannot on my mac or phone?

You do, in fact understand - that is correct. Licenses are sold separately on a per platform basis, so your Windows license doesn't give you licenses for the other platforms. As @danco said, there is a Mac-Windows bundle sold at the AgileBits web store that discounts the separate costs for those two platforms.

You can read the official document on this here: What do I need to purchase to use 1Password on all my devices? Note that this discusses a new product, 1Password for Families, that is sold on a monthly subscription basis and includes use of the applications for all platforms. Perhaps that will sound better to you. But if not, the relevant section covering the standalone products is here: Can I use 1Password without a subscription?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TaylorDeschanel: To be clear, you can access Gmail on any device you login on (that it works on anyway) completely independent of 1Password. You will, however, need to purchase (or use a free trial) of 1Password to use it to log you in to Gmail.

1Password doesn't preclude your ability to login to a website by other means; it just makes it easier in most cases — not only to login, but more importantly, to use a unique, random password for the site so that it cannot be guessed or reused from another account that gets compromised. :pirate:

• Ben
    Options

As hawkmoth alluded to 1Password for Families may be a good answer if you plan on using 1Password across multiple platforms, plan on sharing any data, or just want a really convenient way to have your data on all of your devices. For a $5/mo subscription it includes the latest versions of all of our standalone apps. No having to worry about licenses or upgrade fees. That is all included as part of your subscription.

Now, that said, the state of Windows support for 1Password for Families is in a bit of flux. We have a Windows 10 beta that supports Families, and has browser integration through a built-in browser (no extensions for Chrome, Firefox, etc). Beyond that access to Families is available through our web interface.

We plan to have a more robust offereing for Families on Windows in the future, but that is the current state. If you'd like to try it out and see if it fits your workflow you can sign up for an account free for 30 days.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.