Multiple sync options

attrapereves
attrapereves
Community Member

I use iCloud to sync my vault between my devices. However, I would also like to manually back up my vault to an external hard drive, other cloud storage, etc.

Is there not a way to use iCloud or Dropbox sync, as well as local folder sync? If not, how could I backup my vault (just in case something would ever go wrong with iCloud syncing)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @attrapereves,

It isn't possible to select any combination of iCloud, Dropbox and Folder Sync I'm afraid. Syncing is intended as a way to keep multiple copies of 1Password synchronised in regards to individual vaults and the possibility of sync issues if there are multiple sync sources is just a headache we don't want anybody to face.

May I recommend instead copy backups to other locations as a way of protecting all of your vaults in one move.

1. Launch 1Password and enter 1Password's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Backup tab and click the Show Files button.

A Finder window will open in the location of the backup files. You can copy as many or as few as you want to an alternative location so that should anything happen to both iCloud and all of your devices that you can recover using the backup. You would probably want to consider a tool to automate copying the backups so that you don't have to remember.

Does this help at all?

• attrapereves
    attrapereves
    Community Member

That sounds like a good option. Thanks!

Another question. If my computer died and I had to restore my 1Password vault, how would I do that from a backup file?

Is there a big difference between the zip style backup file and an .agilekeychain or .opvault file?

• Hi @attrapereves ,

To restore, just reinstall 1Password from either the Mac App Store or the AgileBits Web Store (wherever you purchased it), and then when you launch it, select "Restore" from the file menu and open the zip file that you have backed up. That will bring back all of your 1Password data.

Note that agilekeychain and opvault are sync files only. They are created from your actual 1Password data that is stored in a database on your hard disk. The database contains all of your vault items as well as app and sync preferences. The backup file is a copy of that database so it would contain everything in the agilekeychain or opvault files and more.

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to reply if you need further clarification.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• attrapereves
    attrapereves
    Community Member

Thanks! Also, are backup files from Mac compatible with the Windows version and vice versa?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @attrapereves,

Good question! The Mac and Windows versions of 1Password store data differently from each other, so their backup files are in different formats. A 1Password for Mac backup file is a database containing all local vaults, and it is not compatible with 1Password for Windows. However, a 1Password for Windows backup is really a zipped copy of a single Agile Keychain or OPVault file, so if you have a backup file from Windows, you could unzip that and sync it with an existing vault in 1Password for Mac (using the Folder Sync option).

Hopefully that answers your question, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• tdhg566
    tdhg566
    Community Member

I'm jumping into this thread because it seems more appropriate to ask for clarification than to re-post this question. I too want to make an external copy of my vault for extreme disaster recovery purposes. I just bought and I'm populating 1password for families, Mac vsn 6.3.1 (631006). I opened the Preferences and I do not see a Backup tab (I see General, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, All Vaults, Browsers, Updates, Advanced). I also do not see a Backup option on the File menu. The Export option is grayed out.

?how do I make an external backup from time to time?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good question, @tdhg566.

If you have a 1Password account (including a family or team account), then all your data is safely backed up on 1Password.com. You just need to sign in on a new device, and all your data will show up.

Learn more about 1Password backups.

Of course, it's always a good idea to back up your entire Mac (or at least your home folder). Pretty much any backup solution you use — Time Machine, SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, CrashPlan, Backblaze, etc — will back up your home folder by default.

• tdhg566
    tdhg566
    Community Member

Thank you. I do understand that, and I do appreciate the value provided by the family account sync across all devices. It made implementing 1password a breeze. And yes, I do have Time Machine backup running on all the Apple machines (which all have the same 1password vault), and those machines are also backed up with Crashplan. So one would think that we have sufficient number of backups. But the fallacy is that the Time Machine backups all go into a Synology NAS in my office at our house, and Crashplan, wellllllll, one would need to contact them to get a copy of the file. Not a very quick solution for recovery if something happens to us and our physical house and kids are trying to access our accounts to conduct our affairs.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to make sure that I have an off-network version of my 1password vault somewhere. Right now, what I started doing is periodically printing the entire vault to a PDF file, then I password protect that PDF with my master password, then I put the PDF on a USB drive, which I store in a fireproof safe and periodically send to our kids. The PDF isn't actually a bad strategy, because it's readable without needing to restore it anywhere. And yes, they do have a copy of the Emergency Kit, which is a wonderful thing. But the process would be a little less manual, and I would have a vault file that could be restored, if there was an export/backup option.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@tdhg566,

It sounds like you have all your bases covered!

We're looking at some other ways to make local backups of your 1Password account data, and I'll let the devs know you are keen on the notion. :+1:

Do let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime. :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

This discussion has been closed.