I'm trying to make the switch to Family, and I have 2 passwords

Options
aauno
aauno
Community Member

In making this switch, it seems I have two passwords and two vaults. My IOS, Mac, and Windows boxes seem to access different vaults which are not synced. Before I roll this out to my family, I need to understand and get it properly setup. I should set up vaults for myself, work, only wife and I, and one for all the family. Am I asking too much for one product?

I know you support Windows 10, any chance this might work with Windows 7?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @aauno!

Thanks for reaching out! Here's my current understanding:

• You have 1Password on several different platforms (iOS, Mac, Windows 7).
    • You've been using 1Password on devices spanning these different platforms.
    • None of your devices are syncing, so you have different information on different devices.

Is this correct? If it is, do you want to get all of that information in 1Password Families?

As for 1Password Families itself, I think we have you covered! You can have a vault with your personal information and a vault with your work information that only you can access. You can set up a vault to share with your wife. You can set up a vault with items your whole family can see. Additionally, each family member will have their own vault to keep their personal items private. You can even set up an financial planning vault and give your accountant guest access! 1Password Families is pretty flexible :)

We currently only have Families support in the Windows 10 beta. We're working on an app for earlier versions of Windows, but there's no ETA on its completion. We're writing something from the ground up, so it's taking a bit more time than it was to integrate 1Password Families into our other apps.

• aauno
    aauno
    Community Member
    Options

"Is this correct? If it is, do you want to get all of that information in 1Password Families?"

YES!

I use Windows 10 at home, so if I can get everything in Families with my MacBook, Windows 10 PC, iPad, and iPhone, that would be a great start. I can work on my wife's Windows 7 box when you are ready.

I would also like to sync my work PC which is a Window 7 box, but it is not allowed to access cloud storage area like dropbox. Currently I backup my 1Password database to a flash drive, and restore that database onto my work PC. Can you point me in the direction to consolidate my Mac, Windows 10, iPad, and iPhone into Family?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I use Windows 10 at home, so if I can get everything in Families with my MacBook, Windows 10 PC, iPad, and iPhone, that would be a great start.

@aauno: The easiest way to get everything setup (in my opinion) is using 1Password for Mac. Let's start by consolidating your 1Password data there, and then it's just a few clicks to put data from your old standalone 1Password vault(s) into their counterparts in 1Password for Families. This guide will walk you through the general process:

Migrate to a Family or Team account

I would also like to sync my work PC which is a Window 7 box, but it is not allowed to access cloud storage area like dropbox. Currently I backup my 1Password database to a flash drive, and restore that database onto my work PC.

This is a tough one. Ultimately there's no guarantee that whatever solution we come up with here won't also be blocked. But there's one failsafe: the 1Password for Families web interface! It's unlikely that the 1Password website itself will be blocked, after all. And currently since we don't have a 1Password for Families app that will work on Windows 7 (which you may not be able to install anyway), the web interface is really the only option.

Can you point me in the direction to consolidate my Mac, Windows 10, iPad, and iPhone into Family?

Sure! Now, without knowing the details, I can only give you a rough outline. The best thing to do would be to make sure that you have all of your 1Password vault on each device syncing with Dropbox. That way you'll be able to open each of them in 1Password for Mac to transfer the data.

So for example, let's say I have a single shared vault between all devices, and then a few others here and there that are only setup on a single device. I still want all of these to sync into Dropbox, that way I can open them on the Mac. This can be done either one at a time or all at once, since each vault can be selected and viewed separately in 1Password for Mac easily.

For my usual vault that I use most with my personal data, I can select it in 1Password for Mac, press ⌘ A to select all the items, right-click to select my 1Password for Families account's "Personal" vault, and then Move the items there. Any items I want to share with the whole family, I can Move to the "Shared" vault.

Then let's say one of my vaults is called "Work", and I want this to only be accessible to me — but not in my "Personal" vault. So I login to the 1Password for Families website and go to Admin > Vaults and click the + to create a new one there called "Work". And instead of sharing it with anyone else, I just leave it as is and copy my Work items there.

Your setup is probably a bit different than my imaginary one, but the idea is that once you have everything organized in 1Password for Families vaults, you can go through and clean things up so that's all you have: no need to keep empty duplicate vaults around that might cause confusion! Just let me know where you're at, and we'll go from there. :)

This discussion has been closed.