Cannot sync with icloud. 1Password finds existing data in iCloud.

SBoyd
SBoyd
Community Member

I can no longer sync with iCloud. When I try to set it up it gets to the menu that reads, "1Password detected that the data in the Primary vault is different from the data you selected in iCloud." It asks for a vault password. However, when I enter the password I have in 1Password for that vault and that seems to match the hint I get an error telling me that the password is incorrect. I would like to delete whatever information is in iCloud so I can start over with a fresh sync. Is this possible, and, if so, how do I accomplish that?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:icloud sync

Comments

• Hi @SBoyd ,

There is an bug with the AgileBits Web Store version of 1Password that prevents iCloud reset. We will be fixing this bug very soon. However, do you sync with an iOS device? If so, on 1Password on iOS, go to Settings > Advanced, scroll to the bottom and tap Erase iCloud Data - that will erase it and you should be able to then set up sync on your Mac.

If you have purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store you can choose Reset iCloud Data from the Troubleshooting submenu in the Help menu.

Regards,
    Kevin

• SBoyd
    SBoyd
    Community Member

Thanks Kevin. That took care of it and I am currently syncing with iCloud again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad to hear Kevin's suggestion helped. You should be all set now, but if you have more questions or run into any trouble, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

• nollahwe
    nollahwe
    Community Member

I am having the same problem on my desktop computer, but I don't use iOS, and in any case, I don't want to erase the data that is in iCloud because it contains valuable passwords and so on from 1Password on my laptop that is syncing fine with iCloud. I want to merge the data. I can sign into iCloud just fine, but I keep getting a refusal because the password is "incorrect". Why is there no option anywhere to reset the password?

• nollahwe
    nollahwe
    Community Member

From within iCloud, I can always delete the 1Password data and try starting fresh, but that sort of negates the value of syncing - merging data from more than one local vault, doesn't it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nollahwe,

Before we get too far, I’d love to clarify a few details:

• The incorrect password message is for your 1Password data stored in iCloud and not for iCloud itself, correct?
    • Do you have access to your 1Password data on any device right now - is the data stored in 1Password on your computer correct, or is it out of date?

Once we know a bit more about your current situation, we’ll be better able to advise you.

• nollahwe
    nollahwe
    Community Member

Hi, yes, that was correct. However, I went and found the password on my laptop, and that is the one the opened the 1Password vault on iCloud. So, I when I am told that my iCloud session has expired and that I need to sign in again, I can do that. But now I am being asked to sign in again over and over again. Every time I open 1Password I get that message, so I have to sign in multiple times a day. This has gotten to be annoying enough that I have for the time being just turned sync off and don't use it. This is all new behavior. I used to find sync working fine all the time and my vaults on different computers nicely synced via iCloud. Do you know what has happened that this no longer works as it did?

• nollahwe
    nollahwe
    Community Member

PS, when it says that my iCloud session has expired, that is with respect only to 1Password. When I check iCloud in system preferences, iCloud I find that I am signed into iCloud normally and all of its usual functions are working OK. Only 1Password is having a problem.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@nollahwe:

But now I am being asked to sign in again over and over again.

There is a very long active thread about this problem. The best place for an explanation is this AgileBits' post in that thread.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nollahwe: Indeed. Only 1Password from the AgileBits Store (so far) uses Apple's new CloudKitJS framework, so there aren't any other apps that need to authenticate with iCloud in this way. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. We're pursuing this with Apple to see what the solution might be. Thanks for your patience!

This discussion has been closed.