A Few Suggestion of the Password Generator by Words

RyanMeng
RyanMeng
Community Member

Maybe this is not the correct place to make suggestions, but I'm wondering if AgileBits can add more options to the password generator by words, since many websites limit the password length to 16 or require capital letters and numbers. Or if possible, I'm really looking forward to customize password:
pwd="[word]-[6numbers]-[word]", max_len=20
I guess this method might have safety issues, but anyway, I really hope the developers can think of adding more options to the word generator.
Thanks a lot!

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.4
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @RyanMeng ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your question!

Limiting the words chosen would affect the randomness, and thus security of your password, however, we do recognize that and a few other needs that are not addressed by the world list passwords in its current form. We are taking steps to address your and other use cases in the future. In the meantime, I recommend using the random character passwords for shorter fields, if possible.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• ExplodingBrain
    ExplodingBrain
    Community Member

I can second RyanMeng's suggestion. My local password rules require one of special characters, capitals, or numbers. I like to use the word-based generator, and manually capitalize the first letter of each word. It would be more convenient if there was an option to do ths for me.

-Guy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback, @ExplodingBrain!

The 'Words' option in the password generator is great for creating password that you might need to memorize, and/or which you might need to type manually. Otherwise, with the password rules you mentioned, it's usually better to use the 'Characters' option to create a password. Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you mean by "local password"? Is that a password to unlock your computer, or a password for a website, or for another app on your computer? Or for something else?

• ExplodingBrain
    ExplodingBrain
    Community Member

Poor choice of words, sorry. This is my work login, which gets used for the internal wifi network, email, and for various website logins. It needs to be something I can type and remember, because not every device I use has a password manager.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @ExplodingBrain! I see what you mean now. As Kevin said, hopefully we'll be able to address this sort of use case in the future (although I can't make any promises about if/when that would happen).

We appreciate your feedback about this! If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.