Cannot login to Family account in 1Password mac app (but can on the web)

MartinVolerich
MartinVolerich
Community Member

I apologize for not providing version numbers but I am now at work and away from my wife's macbook.

I added her to the Family account, created her unique key and password, printed out the completed emergency document, etc. I added the family account to her desktop config and then moved all her info from her existing primary vault to the family personal one. I then set about reseting her desktop setup so she wouldn't be confused by the additional primary vault.

I followed the usual reset instructions and was presented with the screen to login to the family plan. I scanned the qr code and entered her new password but could not login. With those credentials she can log in to the web portal for the family and see her transferred items, but she cannot get the 1Password for Mac setup.

Suggestions to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MartinVolerich,

Oh dear, I'm sorry about that! Does your wife's Master Password have any accented characters in it? Have you tried setting up 1Password Families for her on any other devices?

Thanks!

• MartinVolerich
    MartinVolerich
    Community Member

I haven't tried on her iPhone. Only her Mac and the web. No there are not any accented characters in the password. Just letters (both cases), numbers & regular (non-complex) symbols.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Heya, @MartinVolerich!

Hmmm. Okay! Let's figure this out :)

I know you were scanning the QR code to set up 1Password for Mac. I haven't seen any issues with the QR code entering the wrong information, but will you try entering it manually to rule that out as a possibility?

Secondly, let's see if it works on her iPhone. If it works there, but not her Mac, it gives us a bit of a direction about where to start digging.

Thanks for your patience!

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hey @MartinVolerich,

One more thing :) Is this the behavior you're seeing when you try to set up your wife's 1Password account?

• MartinVolerich
    MartinVolerich
    Community Member

No - I set up her account on the web site and created the emergency printout form. The problem only occurred once I reset her Mac app (by moving the container folder) and restarted the app, chose to connect to a team, scanned the bar code and then tried to enter the password (which I was careful in typing).

• MartinVolerich
    MartinVolerich
    Community Member

Just caught up on your suggestions. I will try them later on and report back. Thanks again.

• MartinVolerich
    MartinVolerich
    Community Member

So no difference. I was able to log in on her iPhone to the family plan. I also tried to manually enter the details on her Mac OS X version and still got the same error and couldn't connect to the family plan vault. For the record she is still able to log on to that vault from the website - just not from her OS X version of the s/w.

• Hi @MartinVolerich,

This is strange. Can you try again from the Mac app, and after it has failed, create a Diagnostics Report? Send it to support+forums@agilebits.com. Include a link to this thread, and specifically mention "Rick Fillion" in the email so that I get mentioned. I'm hoping that the logs that are in the Diagnostics Report will have hints for us.

Something odd is going on here, I can tell you more about it via email.

Rick

• bzang
    bzang
    Community Member

Hey guys, I'm experiencing the same issue.

• Hi @bzang,

Could you please follow the instructions Rick posted just above you? Also in that email please include your forum handle so we can keep track of who is who. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• bzang
    bzang
    Community Member

Ben,

I actually just cleared out my 1Password settings folder in ~/Library/Container/, restarted my machine and it started working. Not sure what's going on but logins just magically worked after I restarted. Would you still like me to send over a diagnostics report?

• @bzang, not at this point but thank you for the offer! I'm glad to hear you were able to get it working. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.