How can I display a list of the vaults in the main view?

Options
johg
johg
Community Member

I have set up 1P Teams and am loving it. However I want to better organize the logins within the vaults and move them around. The current 'right click - share - move' works, however it is not very intuitive. It would be better for me if on the left side the app would display all the vaults like folders, and allow the user to drag a login to a different vault. There is something about how the brain works where it is easier to parse the decision about what vault makes sense when they can all be seen at once, as opposed to having to drill down into 2 or 3 submenus.

1Password Version: 6.2.Beta-4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:display vault lsit

Comments

• danvpeterson
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi johg, that's an interesting suggestion. One similar thing that I've considered is allowing people to drag items to the vault switcher menu and having that expand so they could drop things on whichever vault they want. On the web this wouldn't work well (drag and drop support is notoriously difficult to handle on web apps) but on our native Mac and Windows apps this could work really well. What do you think? It's something I've wanted for a while but at the moment isn't at the top of our priority list. I appreciate your vote and will mention it to the devs to hopefully get it pushed up the list a bit!

ref: OPM-3913

• johg
    johg
    Community Member
    Options

I want to think that I saw this feature on one of the early betas and it was removed, so it seems like a conscious decision to not design it that way ... most UX show this type of category/folder selection (ie Finder, Explorer). Maybe there is an issue about having multiple vaults decrypted at one time; I recall reading that this was an issue on the windows version.

I think the vault switcher would be an upgrade .. but as the admin of the group having a clear and constant reminder of what vaults exist and how information and logins can fit into each is helpful ... think of how finder would be different if every time you wanted to move an file you had to drill down with a right click.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@johg: Indeed! As I mentioned in another discussion, different vaults need to be encrypted separately so they can be shared. However, perhaps there's another solution for the way it's displayed that we can come up with in the future. I'm suspect that using a logical 4th Miller Column (to the left of categories, items, and details) would make Dan physically ill (or violent), so we'll see what he comes up with. :lol:

• johg
    johg
    Community Member
    Options

What about this as a suggestion? I understand that you already have 3 columns and I don't want a 4th! But you could have the vaults be accordian stacked with the one that is in view/active expanded. Logins could be dragged over to the other vaults which are stacked above and below the active vault. Hovering a dragged login over the vault could expand the it, showing the categories which the user could then drag the login to proper category. This would provide an intuitive way for the user to see everything, be able to move the login quickly and avoid your 4th miller column problem

• Jacob
    Options

@johg That's a good suggestion. I'll forward the feedback to our developers for consideration when musing about this functionality. :) I can definitely see how it would be useful, and I imagine them popping out when hovered over very fluidly. I'm sure we can do something cool here.

This discussion has been closed.