confused about whether I've got families account already [family license vs 1Password for Families]

Options
williamporter
williamporter
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Families

Been using 1Password for a few years now. Love it and recommend to everybody. I signed up for what I thought was a family account originally. Not sure whether I need to do anything now or not (but suspect that I do).

I'm using 1Password 6.1 (610005) purchased apparently from the AgileBits Store. If I go in menus to 1Password 6 > License, the dialog says "This license may be used by 5 people on as many Macs as needed." I'm syncing my files with Dropbox (which has had some challenges).

I suspect that the new Families account is different from the old families account. Should I switch?

Thanks in advance,

Will

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.4.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Will,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! In the past we had something called a "Family License" (which could be either a Mac, Windows, or both license). We no long have this license type. Now any 1Password for Mac, Windows, or Mac+Windows license uses the same terms, which include the ability to share with up to a total of 5 people within a household.

1Password for Families is a new subscription service that we're offering. It is a separate concept entirely from the old family licenses, which were really just a more convenient way to buy 1Password, but offered no technical advantage or service. You can read more about the 1Password for Families service here:

1Password for Families

The standalone apps are still very much in production and are fully supported. In fact they are a key component of, and are included with, our Families subscription service. But the new service does offer some functionality that we cannot offer with the standalone apps.

The primary difference between using the standalone apps without a subscription and having the subscription service is that with the standalone apps your data is only stored locally (on your devices) and potentially with a 3rd party sync service such as Dropbox or iCloud (if configured). With Families and its counterpart 1Password for Teams your encrypted data is stored with AgileBits. We still do not have access to this data -- it is encrypted by your computer before being sent to us (just like what happens with Dropbox or iCloud), but this enables us to do some really great things in terms of sharing, web access, smoother experience in having your data on all of your devices, etc.

It is definitely worth signing up for an account and trying it out.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

Helps a lot. THANKS Ben.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good to hear! Please let us know if you have any other questions :)

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

Well, yes, now I'm confused about something else. I've got my new 'online account' setup. Let me call it that for the moment.

What I just noticed, poking around in the admin console in my browser, is that there's a link to 'convert TEAMS account to FAMILIES' account. I just signed up for this on March 16, 2016, and I never intended to sign up for a teams account. I thought I was signing up for a family account. Did I do something wrong?

I'd like to confirm that I've started the process correctly before I invite my wife and daughters to join.

Will

• Ben
    Options

Hi Will,

When you open your admin console do you see a tab for "Family Members," or does it say "Team Members?"

If it says Team Members then it sounds like you may have accidentally signed up for a Teams account instead of a Families account. No worries, the button you mentioned will get you sorted out.

Ben

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

Well, heck. I see something that says "Team Members."

What should I do? I very much want to take full advantage of the family account (7 family-member) special deal, if I can.

Thanks,

Will

p.s. I'm sorry: I didn't mean to do this but I think I've now got multiple folks at Agilebits trying to help me with this. I think I sent an email to support. Should I just wait for a response to that email?

• Ben
    Options

No worries Will. I've closed your email ticket and will respond here, so that if others have the same question they may benefit as well.

To switch from a Teams account to a Families account open the Admin Console and select the Settings tab (to the right of where you see "Team Members"). From there click the link that says Switch to a Family Account.

I hope that helps.

Ben

ref: INI-18181-373

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Ben,

Did as you suggested: went to Admin Console > Settings and clicked "Switch to Family Account". Got a promising response, but then for a minute I wasn't sure the change had actually taken effect, because the 'tabs' as you call them still said 'Team Members'. But I logged out and logged back in — and now it says "Family Members".

Great. THANK YOU.

ADDENDUM a few minutes later.... I do have one last question.

In my local 1Password 6 app's Settings dialog (on my Macbook Pro), the third item from the left still says 'Teams'. I've locked and then unlocked the vault. I've also quit 1Password and launched it again. Still says 'Teams'.

Is that a problem?

Will

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome Will. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.