What is the exact procedure when I unlock the padlock when I get to a web site it recognises?

Options

I normally have the padlock in view, but not at the moment, but when it is and I unlock it with my Master Password i get the sites which are entered. Then if I highlight the one I want and it asks for a password what do I do? Do I enter the MP again or my old password?
And how do I get the padlock to show again in the tool bar? I could not find a category for my question so I have somewhat randomly selected one...

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Don't think I have this
OS Version: Latest for Mac
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:What is the exact procedure when I unlock the padlock when I get to a web site it recognises?

Comments

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted the procedure, but don't worry I am down loading a tutorial onto my iBook (I think!!)

1Password Version: The latest
    Extension Version: I think now I do have it
    OS Version: 0sx 10
    Sync Type: ???
    Referrer: forum-search:What is the exact procedure when I unlock the padlock when I get to a web site it recognises?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@jonatha - Also, be sure you read the User Guide. It contains very useful information about getting started, as well as more advanced topics. The direct link is here.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much Hawkmoth......but the User Guide won't print out. Trust me I need to have it on paper in front of me. I am mildly Dyslexic....
    I am on a brand new MacBook Air with password six

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@jonatha - There are pdf versions of all the user guides here. You can print what ever parts you like.

https://support.1password.com/guides/

There are a couple of ebook formats there too.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Sir, and wise one....I need to print it all I think, to try and make sense of any of it.
    Eureka!!! found an outfit on web that prints from pdf. Pricey but I am probably going to use 'til the end of time if I am going to master 1password in all her many guises.......

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @jonatha. Thanks for your post. I'm sorry, but I'm having a little trouble following what the question is, so my answer will be somewhat generic until I get some clarification. Maybe a screenshot or two would help clarify? For now, I think the first thing is to make sure you have the browser extension installed. We also recently published a video that shows how to save new Logins and fill your details in web pages using the extension.

I'm sorry for the generic answer, but I hope the information is helpful nonetheless. If I've misunderstood, please let me know and I'll try to give better information. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonatha,

I'm glad hawkmoth was able to help you find the PDF copy of our user guide! Hopefully the user guide helps to answer your questions about using 1Password, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're here for you! :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you team,

You are all very kind and patient......

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of hawkmoth and the rest of our team, you're very welcome! If you have more questions or need help, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for bothering you again, but let me ask you one question...when I log into Amazon UK I open the Padlock at the top of the page. It opens a window which has Amazon UK links, so I enter the Master Password which links me to the Amazon site is this the correct way to do it?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @jonatha. There are a few ways to use the extension, but what I normally do is navigate to the page where I would normally type in my username and password. I then click on the 1Password button in my browser (Safari in my case, but you might be using another). 1Password recognizes the site I'm on and shows my saved entries for that site. I click on the one I want to fill and then 1Password pops in the username and password and signs me in. This sounds like also what you've described, but I just want to make sure I'm being clear in my descriptions. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jamie that sort of looks the same........

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

It seems that I am on the Extension....can you explain to me equally simply and with no computer jargon how get a site i.e. 'my Bank'
    onto 1 Password?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll do my best, @jonatha. :) The most reliable way is to navigate to the page and then save the site manually using the extension:

1. Using your web browser's address bar, enter the URL for your bank.
    2. Once you're on your bank's site, click any links or buttons necessary to get to the page where you would enter your username and password.
    3. Type your username and password into the fields, but don't click submit or press return.
    4. Click the 1Password button in your browser.
    5. In the window that pops up, you should see a gear-shaped icon in the top right.
    6. Click the gear-shaped icon and you should see a menu of options.
    7. Click the Save new Login… option.
    8. Review the details in the next window such as the title (name) you're assigning to the entry. It should be memorable enough for you to find later. So, for instance, if it's an account with Wells Fargo, 1Password might offer you a title like "Wells Fargo" but you might prefer to name it "My Bank" so you can find it later when searching.
    9. Click the Save Login button to save it.

You can repeat this process for every site you need to save. If you forget, in most cases 1Password will "see" when you're signing in to a site that it doesn't have saved and offer to save it for you. You can turn this off, but it's a good idea to keep it on as a bit of a safety check so you can make sure all your sites are making their way to 1Password.

I hope that helps. If anything's not clear, let me know and I'll do my best to explain better.

This discussion has been closed.