Adding a set of custom fields (custom section) on Mac

Options
marker
marker
Community Member

Are custom sections (sets of fields) possible or only custom section names and custom field names?

I want to add the same set of custom fields repeatedly but could not figure out how to do this. I know it is possible to add custom fields. 1Password has an example of what I am trying to do in their documentation at this URL [1]. Shown is a secure note in which each section is a different piece of hardware, and each section has fields "serial" and "Applecare". This is exactly what I'd like to do but to populate the field names automatically. Is this possible?

For the example above, I would imagine the procedure being "New Custom Section: Device". It would then leave a default section name (say, "section name") and then a set of 2 fields: ["serial", "Applecare"] that I could fill in with the info for the device. I could repeat this for each device. In some cases perhaps Applecare might not be relevant (for an external hard drive) and I could delete the field or change it to something else. The template would only be used to initially create the fields.

I thought this was possible but now I can't figure it out... I also found this Windows documentation [2] but couldn't tell if it had this functionality. When 1Password describes "custom sections" do you mean custom sections or just custom section names?

[1] https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/add-custom-fields.html
[2] https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/customizing-item-types

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:custom sections, ug:mac/add-custom-fields, kb-search:Adding a set of custom fields (custom section) on Mac

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marker: Sorry for the confusion! You can indeed create unlimited custom sections and fields in any item:

Just click in the empty text areas for each and start typing:

And if you have a specific template you want to setup for a category (say, Secure Notes), just set it up the way you want it, save it with a memorable name like "Template", and then you can duplicate it when you need to use it again. Cheers! :)

• marker
    marker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I still don't have working what I want and am not clear if it is possible -- can a section be a template or does the whole note need to be the template?

In the first link I provided each section was almost identical. If it is possible to "add a section from template" could you please show me how. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marker: The item itself (a Secure Note, in my example) can be saved like any item in your vault. You can call it a template and use it as a template, but it's still just another item. :)

The first screenshot is before editing any sections or fields. The second is after. I hope this helps! :)

• marker
    marker
    Community Member
    Options

It sounds like you have to add all the text manually. There isn't a way to add the following template within a note. And to then add it multiple times as a template within the same note (except for typing it manually). I am on mobile now but will submit this as a feature request.

[blank section name]
    serial: [blank]
    applecare: [blank]

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marker,

Sorry for the confusion, I don't think brenty picked up on your precise need.

While you can create custom sections and custom fields with custom titles there isn't a way to duplicate a block and add it repeatedly to the same item. Now if I export the JSON of an item and copy and paste part of the section that details an entire section it seems to work when I use this JSON to create a new item in 1Password for Mac but this requires that somebody is pretty techie in nature and not shy of a bit of text editing. On top of that I would really want to talk to a developer because each field seems to have a Universally Unique ID (UUID) attached to it and I'm not sure what happens if multiple fields have the same one - nothing good at a guess.

At the moment the only safe method is sadly manually creating each set as many times as required. Sorry I couldn't offer any better news.

• marker
    marker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the followup. I will do it manually. It's not terrible!! But would be good to automate in the future. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you very much for the feedback & feature request! I can forward that to our developers (although I can't make any promises one way or another about if/when that will be added). If it's something that will be helpful for a lot of customers, I'm sure they'll at least consider it.

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.