I'm really confused about 1Password Families. Do I still use 1Password for Mac on my Mac?

robibotn
robibotn
Community Member

Just started the 1Password for Families, and it confuses the dickens out of me. Do I still use 1Password for Mac that I have already have on my Mac, or do I now use only on 1Password for Families/Teams that is web based? How does the 1Password Browser Extensions know where to look for my information if it is now on the Families app? If I change or have a new password and put it in to 1Password for Mac, does it update and add it to the Families app as well?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.53
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: ug:mac/switch-vaults, ug:mac/new-computer, ug:mac/switch-vaults

Comments

• JWeaver
    JWeaver
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Hi @robibotn

1Password for Families provides seamless syncing of data between your devices. *Edited - @hawkmoth spelled it out while I was editing :) cheers

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

@robibotn -

Do I still use 1Password for Mac that I have already have on my Mac

Yes, you continue to use that, but you connect it to your Families vaults, which then appear on your Mac or other devices locally. That is more convenient for everyday use than the web interface. Also, if you want to continue to use autofill and submit, you'll need the desktop and iOS versions to do that. You won't be able to do it through the web interface. Think of the web interface as the place to administer who is in your Family group and what permissions they have to have access to particular vaults. Daily use continues to work the way you've been used to all along.

How does the 1Password Browser Extensions know where to look for my information if it is now on the Families app?

You'll connect your Families vaults to the local applications, and the local applications will still handle that.

If I change or have a new password and put it in to 1Password for Mac, does it update and add it to the Families app as well?

It will if you make the changes within the Families vaults.

Set up these connections to the Families vault from your Mac desktop from the Teams tab in 1Passwrod Preferences. (The Teams tab needs a different name to show that it applies to Families as well. I'm sure that will come.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @robibotn ,

I'm so sorry that 1Password for Families has been a bit confusing for you. It's a whole new way of organizing and syncing your 1Password data, so I can certainly understand the confusion.

I think that Hawkmoth has done a great job of breaking things down for you here, but if there's anything that doesn't still doesn't quite make sense, we're happy to continue this conversation.

And thanks so much for giving 1Password for Families a try - I hope you love it!

• slamboogie88
    slamboogie88
    Community Member

I originally purchased the stand alone 1Password for both my mac and iphone, ipad since you guys first launched back in the days...Yupe, I am one of your early adopters :)

I also upgraded to the family plan this year when it was first offered to me.

My question is...

since I use to sync my 1Password via Dropbox before upgrading to family plan.

Do I still need to sync my family 1Password accts for all of the devices or I no longer need to do that and it is automatically synced via 1Password cloud since I have the family plan?

This is really unclear and I can not find any specific detail instruction on this "seamless sync" benefit that you've feature on the family plan page.

Please advice and give me specific direction how to sync seamlessly with my family plan for all of my family devices without using Dropbox or any other 3rd party service besides your 1Password cloud service.

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slamboogie88: Sorry for the confusion there! It's really unclear at first because it's so different than the "sync setup" you and I are used to. The answer is so simple that it's easy to overlook: if the data is in your 1Password Account (you can confirm this by logging into 1Password.com), it will be available automatically on any authorized device (where you login to your 1Password Account in the app or browser).

So, for example, I have a few vaults: Personal, Shared, and Family. When I login to 1Password.com, I can view these. And then when I login to my 1Password Account in 1Password for Mac, I can access them there as well. Vaults outside of my 1Password Account are local, won't show up on 1Password.com, and can be sync'd via Dropbox.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• slamboogie88
    slamboogie88
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for speedy reply. So to clarify. As long as all of the info is online 1Password family account...They will be automatically synced to all devices by the following step: Settings > Accounts > Add Account > (add my family 1Password acct here). Is this correct for both iOS (iPhone) and Mac desktop app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slamboogie88: Yep! The only difference is that 1Password for Mac has Preferences instead of Settings. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.