iPhone restore, can't log into secondary vault

Options
BA_ShaneHolser
BA_ShaneHolser
Community Member

Hi there. When I initially set up One Password on my phone (recently), I typed in a long "secure" password. So "secure," I could never duplicate it. Because there were only a couple of passwords in the first vault, I told the app to create a new vault, gave it a new password & things were great. Until my iphone got a bug and I had to restore the phone as "new". So now, when I try to log into One Password, it wants that original password I could never duplicate. How do I get to the other vault I created that I DO remember the password for? I only have OnePassword on my phone, because I rarely use desktops. And I still only have a handful of passwords in there, so it's an option to start from scratch again. But I suspect I'll make things worse if I do that without guidance!
Thanks! - BA

One Password 6.3.1
iPhone 9.3
Sync via iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

HI @BA_ShaneHolser,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. I'm not really sure how you would've created a second vault, without deleting the first (by uninstalling/reinstalling 1Password or otherwise starting over). 1Password for iOS only has the ability to create one vault, though it can sync in others created on other platforms.

So, I think likely the best way forward here is to start over. You can find a guide on doing so here:

(iOS) How do I start over with an empty vault?

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• BA_ShaneHolser
    BA_ShaneHolser
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply! I followed this directions - deleted one password off my phone, restarted the phone, reinstalled the app. Was back in the same place. I still did not know my primary vault password as synced by ICloud. I selected "create a new vault", and when it offered me the option to "merge" with the primary vault, I still couldn't because I still don't know my primary vault password. It seems the vault I was creating was still not considered the primary vault? So, I continued creating the new vault without merging it with the primary vault, went into advanced settings and deleted 1) all 1password data and 2) all ICloud data. Now it seems to see this new vault as my primary, so hopefully I can get back into it if I have to restore my phone to new again. Thanks for your reply!!

• BA
  • Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @BA_ShaneHolser! It sounds like you are back on the right path. The last thing I'd recommend, to close the loop, is to setup iCloud syncing again. This'll ensure that your data exists in more than one place (both on your device & on iCloud) which can be very helpful in cases such as lost/stolen/broken devices.

Sync with iCloud | 1Password for iOS

Ben

This discussion has been closed.