How do I reassign entries to another category?

nturrill
nturrill
Community Member

I converted to 1Password from SplashID Safe. Many entries converted to the generic "Secure Notes" category. How do I reassign these existing entries to one of the 1Password categories, say to "Software Licenses"?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:category

Comments

• Hi @nturrill, thanks for the question. Unfortunately right now we don't have the capability to move items from one category to another. You can create a new item and copy and paste from one to the other but there is no way to automate it currently. It gets a bit difficult as we don't know what field would belong to what field type in the other category. It is something I'd love to have as well and I will add your vote and mention it again to our team.

Thanks again!

Dan V Peterson
    AgileBits, Lead Designer

• nturrill
    nturrill
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Because the conversion left most of the values in a "notes" field, it would be enough to merge all the fields of the old item into a new item of the wanted Category without trying to move the values to new fields, but leaving the fields of the new Category item blank. Then I could manually move the values into the desired fields of the new Category item and delete fields of the old item that are no longer needed.

Your suggestion of creating a new item and copy and pasting fields from one to the other is also difficult, because 1Password does not seem able to have two items open at the same time.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@nturrill:

Your suggestion of creating a new item and copy and pasting fields from one to the other is also difficult, because 1Password does not seem able to have two items open at the same time.

The solution is to view in 1Password mini the item from which you wish to copy and then click on the anchor symbol, at the bottom left of the displayed window, to anchor that window to your desktop. It's then easy to copy and paste from it.

Stephen

• Hi @nturrill,

Stephen's recommendation of using 1Password mini to help with being able to have 2 items open at once is probably the best way forward. It's not ideal, and I wish we could do better here, but for the time being that's the best idea I can think of as well.

Rick

• Nonylus
    Nonylus
    Community Member

Now that 1Password for Team/Family is out, you can also use your browser as a secondary window to copy information.

But I would still loooove to be able to convert item's category

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

That's not a bad idea! And I agree that converting an item's category would be a neat feature. :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.