Some tasks with VoiceOver confusing

jon_campbell
jon_campbell
Community Member

I have a good friend who is a VoiceOver user and has recently purchased 1Password. I was giving her support for entering a Credit card into the system and we found the process to be very difficult to figure out the first time around with VoiceOver. The main issues we ran into is navigating the details table.

Ideally she should be able to tab through the table to fill the fields but the text fields themselves are not labeled. So as the focus moves through the the fields VoiceOver simply describes them as "Edit Text" with no label. To find out which field she is entering she has to stop interacting with the "edit text" field to hear the title of the form field.

There is also some difficulty with the way focus is handled in the date fields as well. Specifically how after completing the year it switches focus back to the month which had already been filled which is confusing.

With some fiddling around we found a system of entering and leaving focus for her complete the form which she can handle but would have been very difficult for her to figure out with sighted help from myself.

If the "edit text" fields could be labeled for VoiceOver users it would make accessibility to new users a lot better.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Jon! I have a soft spot in my heart for visually impaired users and would love to improve further here. We've spent quite a bit of time and effort on VoiceOver already, but as you clearly demonstrate, we still have a ways to go.

I'm going to invite @chadseld in to this discussion as he's been responsible for many of our VoiceOver improvements over the years. Hopefully he will be able to make some quick changes to help here.

Take care and thanks again for reporting this! Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

• Hi Jon,

I have been assigned the task of improving VoiceOver support in the next version (likely version 6.3). We have a few good improvements already completed, and will be addressing a number of additional problems. I'll make sure the detail view controls get better VoiceOver labeling. Thank you for the input.

• mta
    mta
    Community Member

As someone who recently became dependent on screen readers, I appreciate the changes you made in 6.3.1. If you're up for more changes I have a suggestion. I normally don't use the full VoiceOver feature of MacOSX, but rather use the (new in El Capitan) option to "Speak items under mouse after delay" which is hidden in "More Options" section of the Zoom tab of the Accessibility pane in System Preferences. I can see well enough to find things on the screen, but not well enough to read everything, so this combination works well for me. Version 6.3.1 of 1Password doesn't work well with this. For example, almost everything in most item details panes reads as either "1Password" or "Details" no matter what it really is.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@mta I've passed this feedback along to our development team. I can't make any promises about if or when this will be changed, but we take accessibility pretty seriously, so I'm sure we'll at least discuss the possibility of making it easier to use "Speak items..." with 1Password :)

ref: OPM-4186

This discussion has been closed.