Ambiguity in understanding the differences between 1P on Macs/iOS devices and 1P Teams/Families

Options
gkgriffith
gkgriffith
Community Member

I've been using 1Password on my Macs and iOS devices for years. I've recently started using 1P Families, but I'm struggling a bit to grasp the differences between the apps and the Teams features. Is the following distinction correct?:

1Password on devices refers to the app that runs on either a computer or a mobile device while 1Password Teams/Families is a subscription syncing service which is accessible through the internet and which also allows sharing of vaults between the apps on different devices.

Here are some related questions:

1. Can I exercise my Admin functions over team members and vault sharing from 1Password on my Mac or iOS device?

2. Is there a "Team Menu" on the Mac or iOS versions of 1P? I have not been able to find it, but the following statement from the Teams Admin Guide suggests that there is: "The best way to add items to your team’s vaults is to use 1Password on your desktop or mobile device. To add your team to 1Password on your device, open the Team menu and choose Get the Apps."

Thanks for helping clear these things up!

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox / 1Password Teams

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gkgriffith,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I'd be happy to help clarify things for you. As a longtime 1Password user myself, 1Password Families is a bit of a shift in thinking for me as well, but there's a lot of great stuff here that will help solve a lot of questions and pain points that we've been hearing from users over the years.

Here's how I've been defining the various flavours of 1Password. The app is still your source for all your vaults and all your data. 1Password is still 1Password. The difference comes in how your vaults are shared between your devices.

• Personal vaults are created on your device. They can live only on your computer, or you can sync them yourself using a third-party service like iCloud or Dropbox.
    • Teams and Families vaults are created via your 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families account. (Currently this can only be done via the web interface, but I imagine we'll be bringing these features to the apps in the future.) These vaults appear instantly on all devices that are signed in to the appropriate Team/Family via the AgileBits servers.
    1. Can I exercise my Admin functions over team members and vault sharing from 1Password on my Mac or iOS device?

At this time, Admin functions are available only in the web interface. 1Password Families and 1Password for Teams is still young though! While I can't promise any future features, I believe it is on our roadmap. (Personally, I'm not a big fan of logging in with a web browser to get my Admin stuff done, so I'm on the list of people who'd love to see all of the power in the app.)

1. Is there a "Team Menu" on the Mac or iOS versions of 1P? I have not been able to find it, but the following statement from the Teams Admin Guide suggests that there is: "The best way to add items to your team’s vaults is to use 1Password on your desktop or mobile device. To add your team to 1Password on your device, open the Team menu and choose Get the Apps."

There is! In 1Password for Mac, you'll use Preferences > Teams, and in 1Password for iOS, it's Settings > 1Password for Teams. Both have a handy QR scanner, so you can use the QR code in your Emergency Kit to easily add your 1Password for Teams and 1Password Families accounts to 1Password.

I hope this helps to clear things up, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.