Clarify the difference between 1Password the apps and 1Password Families

Options
Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Keeping Data in Sync.

Comments

• fischums
    fischums
    Community Member
    Options

To try and avoid confusion, I want to start by clarifying some terms that I’m using, and also mention that I use Apple computers and devices (in case that has any bearing on the answers I’m looking for).

1P6 = 1Password 6
    1PF = 1Password for Families
    1PT = 1Password for Teams
    shared = a vault/item that is visible in someone else’s account because they were invited to it

I first want to clarify the syncing differences between the different versions to make sure I’m on the right page. From my understanding…

• 1P6 will sync between devices on the same account, but it will not sync any vaults/items that have been shared to another account. Once something has been shared from 1P6, it will not sync/update automatically if there are any changes made.
    • 1PF and 1PT will keep all shared vaults/items synced between users/devices by utilizing the additional web-based feature (which is not included with 1P6). The only shared vaults/items that stay synced with changes are those shared from a 1PF or 1PT account.

Did I get those syncing differences correct?

Now a scenario…if I have my own 1P6 account, and my office creates a 1PT or 1PF account (it’s just 2 of us in the office) and they invite me to be a member of that account, can I just add it to my 1P6 account and it will show up as one of my vaults? I think I can, I just want to confirm that. Also, will that shared vault from my office’s 1PT or 1PF account stay synced with changes even though it’s within my 1P6 account that natively does not keep shared-across-account items synced?

As a final thought/request, an organized and easy-to-read product comparison chart of the features and functional similarities/differences of the various 1P accounts would be wonderfully helpful! For example, the way Apple compares models of iPhones (http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/). If you already have this on your website somewhere and I just haven’t seen it, please point it out to me as I would find it extremely helpful.

Thank you!! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fischums,

I've split your comment into its very own discussion so that we can keep this conversation neat and tidy. 1Password Families is a bit of a change in our way of doing things, so I can understand your confusion. You've asked some good questions here, and I'll do my best to clarify things for you.

First of all, let's talk 'accounts', because I think it will be easier to move forward if we differentiate our terms a bit. Until 1Password Families was introduced, 1Password did not operate as an account. 1Password was an app that you purchased. Within 1Password, you would create your vault, and you would use your Master Password to unlock your vault.

• 1P6 will sync between devices on the same account, but it will not sync any vaults/items that have been shared to another account. Once something has been shared from 1P6, it will not sync/update automatically if there are any changes made.

In the 1Password app, you control where your data is stored. Your data will never leave your system unless you decide to sync it using a secondary service like iCloud or Dropbox. Once your data is synced to a cloud service, you can add it to 1Password on other devices so that your data is available for you everywhere. Any changes to your vault will be synced using that service to all your devices.

If you enable Multiple Vaults, you can selectively share data with family members or coworkers. The short version is that you'll share the vault's datafile via a shared folder in Dropbox, and any changes made to the vault by anyone will be updated to all other instances of that vault.

• 1PF and 1PT will keep all shared vaults/items synced between users/devices by utilizing the additional web-based feature (which is not included with 1P6). The only shared vaults/items that stay synced with changes are those shared from a 1PF or 1PT account.

1Password Families and 1Password for Teams keeps all vaults and items synced using the AgileBits web servers. Its the same basic process as with the 1Password app if you were using iCloud or Dropbox, but we're doing the work ensuring that your data is everywhere you need it, instead of relying on a third-party sync service.

The web interface available in Families and Teams is pretty nifty, but it's not the thing that does the syncing.

Now a scenario…if I have my own 1P6 account, and my office creates a 1PT or 1PF account (it’s just 2 of us in the office) and they invite me to be a member of that account, can I just add it to my 1P6 account and it will show up as one of my vaults? I think I can, I just want to confirm that. Also, will that shared vault from my office’s 1PT or 1PF account stay synced with changes even though it’s within my 1P6 account that natively does not keep shared-across-account items synced?

You can indeed be a member of multiple accounts. For work here at AgileBits, I am signed in to two Teams accounts and one Families account. In addition to that, I have several personal vaults that are synced using Dropbox. All of these vaults are viewable in the 1Password app.

As a final thought/request, an organized and easy-to-read product comparison chart of the features and functional similarities/differences of the various 1P accounts would be wonderfully helpful!

Does this page fulfill your comparison chart needs? We've recently redesigned our website, and I think it goes a long way to detailing the various awesomeness of 1Password ... but clearly I'm a bit biased. ;)

I hope we've started to clarify things for you here, but if there are any remaining questions, you know where to find us!

This discussion has been closed.