How to sync Primary vaults on multiple computers with Personal 'Family' vault.

Options
chrisjones704
chrisjones704
Community Member

I just upgraded to Families, but I still have my local Primary vault on multiple computers and an iPhone using dropbox for sync. How do I sync the primary vault with my personal vault, which is stored on Agilebits servers?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Your local Primary Vault is separate and outside of 1P for Families control. Understand that your local vaults which you created prior to 1P for Families will still need to be synced however you were doing it before Families arrived (Dropbox, iCloud, WiFi...). The vaults that you create under the control of 1P for Families will be automatically stored and synced from the Agile servers. You can Move your local vaults to Family vaults if you like to ease the syncing issue and allow the sharing amongst your family. Personally, the only item left in my Primary vault are the Emergency Family Kits for each family member and I sync that via iCloud to allow access from my other devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisjones704: rr0ss0rr is right on, although it is a bit situational. After all, some folks will want to use the standalone 1Password app with local vaults only, some will want to use only 1Password Families/Teams vaults, and others some combination of those.

If you'd like to change your setup to or from having a local Primary vault though, the best thing to do is to make sure you have all your data in the correct vaults, backup, and then start over in 1Password. That way you can set it up just how you want it. :)

Personally, the only item left in my Primary vault are the Emergency Family Kits for each family member and I sync that via iCloud to allow access from my other devices.

@rr0ss0rr: One thing which isn't immediately obvious is that you actually don't need to do it this way (though you're free to). Once you have even a single device authorized with your 1Password Families account, you'll be able to use it (without the Emergency Kit) to authorize others as well, as you'll have your Master Password in your brain and the Account Key in 1Password Preferences/Settings > Teams. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.