If I can't revoke shared vault access, can I export, rename, import and not share with all users?

Options
lfeiwel
lfeiwel
Community Member

I am a 1PasswordPro user. I have 2 vaults. Vault1 for me and wife, Vault2 for me and daughter. Daughter currently sees both. I need to remove daughter access to vault1. Could I export Vault1, rename, and import into 1Password, so that only wife can see new vault3, and then I delete vault 1? is there an easier way? I can point 1Password libraries to different locations in dropbox, iCloud, or whatever...

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:share-vault, ug:ios/sync-with-dropbox, kb:share-vault, kb-search:share vault, kb:revoke-shared-vault-access

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lfeiwel,

I'd be happy to help you out here! It looks like you've already done some research before asking your question, which is awesome. I see that you've taken a peek at our knowledgebase article Can I revoke access to a shared vault?, which is a great place to start.

Now, renaming and exporting your vault isn't going to make much of a difference, because a copy of the existing vault data will still be on your daughter's computer.

Here are some steps you'll want to take when you remove your daughter's access to the vault:

Remove the datafile from your shared Dropbox folder.

If you and your daughter share other files through this shared folder, you'll want to disable sync for the vault in question and then re-enable to a location that only you and your wife have access to. If the datafile is the only thing being shared in this shared folder, you can revoke your daughter's access to the shared folder.

Once the datafile is unshared, your daughter will no longer receive updates to the vault when items are changed.

(If you would like specific instructions on how to disable and re-enable sync for this vault, please let me some details about your 1Password set up, including version information and the number of computers and devices currently using 1Password.)

Request that your daughter remove the vault from her 1Password apps.

We use cautionary language in the "Can I revoke access to a shared vault?" article because often shared vaults are used in a business environment where an employee may leave on less-than-happy terms. In cases like that, it is important for the company to be aware that the employee's access to the vault cannot be automatically revoked.

However, in a family situation, it might be possible to simply request that your daughter remove the vault from her copy of 1Password.

In 1Password for Mac, you can remove a vault from 1Password by switching to view that vault, and then clicking on the 1Password menu and selecting "Delete [vault-name] vault".

In 1Password for iOS, you remove a vault by selecting Settings > Vaults > [vault-name] > Remove Vault.

Once this is done, you have effectively unshared the vault.

Change any critical passwords.

Once you've made sure that your daughter no longer has access to the vault, you may wish to change the passwords of any critical accounts that you want to ensure she does not access. Again, this might be more relevant in a business situation, but a shared vault includes full access to the data inside that vault, and there's nothing stopping a user from copying passwords into another vault.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you!

• lfeiwel
    lfeiwel
    Community Member
    Options

These options should solve my problem...I'll perform them later today when she (her laptop and iphone) return home

Thanks for the clear and timely response

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.