Switching back to 1Password

Options
DaveyDave
DaveyDave
Community Member

First of all, I think 1Password Families is fantastic. I'm looking forward to see what new features are added in the future. Right now, however, I'm going to switch back to 1Password because the local backup feature is very important to me.

I know how to make the switch back, but I'm wondering if I need to delete my family account from your server since I won't be signing up with my credit card right now. If permitted, I'd like to keep the account because I'd be happy to switch to the 1Password Families option if a local backup solution is added at some point.

Please let me know if that is acceptable.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @DaveyDave,

If your subscription runs out (or you never subscribe) your account will go into a read-only mode. No changes can be made until the subscription is renewed. You'll still be able to view your data.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @DaveyDave! I wanted to add a detail to bwoodruff's post. One of our developers wrote an awesome forum post about the potential of local backups. I would love to hear your thoughts on it. I'd also just like to know why you prefer local backups to ones managed by the server. :)

• DaveyDave
    DaveyDave
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth

Thanks for your response. I agree, that was an excellent post. In fact, I had read it before deciding on which version of 1Password would be best for me.

Basically, I love server backups, but I also prefer to have local backups as well. It would seem likely that the server backups are more than sufficient in virtually all situations that don't involve a "zombie apocalypse". Having managed a national IT Helpdesk for many years, however, I have seen many disasters that did not involve zombies, including:

• fibre optic cables accidentally severed by construction crews resulting in a two day internet outage
    • the Northeast blackout of 2003 that left some of our sites in Ontario without power (other than portable generators) for almost a week
    • the events of 9/11 which didn't result in any internet or power failures but did cause the internet connections to be overwhelmed to the point of being almost useless
    • a damaged power sub-station near our headquarters which caused a surge powerful enough that some of our network equipment was damaged despite being connect to a UPS
    • a fire in downtown Toronto that caused a lengthly outage for our ISP

I even had a personal situation when I was moving to a new home. My vehicle had a flat tire, so I had to leave it overnight before it could be repaired. When I returned, virtually everything I owned (including all of my important documents and computer) were stolen!

So, in my experience, the unexpected and unthinkable can happen from events beyond our control. Even the best laid plans have points of failure, so a local backup that I can keep with me is like a security blanket.

Like my colleague @blurter pointed out in another post, I love how 1Password stores an opvault file in Dropbox (if that is your sync method). We both regularly back up those files to several locations for extra protection. I'm comfortable knowing that I can use those files to access my data with a local copy of 1Password in an emergency.

Overall, I think the direction of 1Password Families is great. It's just that based on my own personal history, locally accessible encrypted backups (e.g. opvault) are too important to me to make the switch to Families. I won't be abandoning 1Password; I'm just sticking with the version that has protected me so well for years.

Of course, this is all based on my own personal situation. I'm sure you understand your customers better than I do. Others may not share these concerns at all.

Thanks again.

• rob
    Options

Hi, @DaveyDave.

Thanks so much for your thoughts! You bring up good points, and we are aware of the need for a local backup solution. The situation is still as I described in that post @penderworth linked, but I understand the "security blanket" feel of local backups, and I'd actually like to have them, too. I hope I explained well why we prioritized online backups, and I look forward to seeing what we can come up with there. :)

Thanks for your support through the years! Say hi to @blurter for me. ;)

This discussion has been closed.