Usage question: Separate account than master account

3l3phant
3l3phant
Community Member

I'm the administrator of our Family account and I'd like to be able to log in without having to enter the Account Key (specifically if I'm at work and need access to passwords in my vault. Do I need to create another account just for that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @3l3phant,

Once you've authorized a specific browser using the Account Key, you should be able to log in to your 1Password account on that browser using just your email address and Master Password. There are a few exceptions to this however:

• If you have checked the option 'this is a public computer' when logging in. This option prevents the Account Key from being stored in the local cache.
    • If you clear your browser's cache, it will remove the Account Key from the local cache.

Do either of these fit your case?

• 3l3phant
    3l3phant
    Community Member

@Megan
    Nope - It's my work computer that only I have access to (well, as much as one has sole access to one's work computer :). But the first time I use Family at work means I will need my Account Key, correct?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @3l3phant,

Yes, the first time you access your 1Password Families account at work, you will need the Account Key. The Account Key is used to authorize the browser, an extra security feature built into 1Password accounts. If you have 1Password for Mac installed and want to add your 1Password account to the app, we have a handy QR scanner that can scan your Emergency Kit to read the Account Key without you having to type it in, but this feature is not available in the web interface.

• 3l3phant
    3l3phant
    Community Member

Thanks @Megan - So any user will need the Account Key the first time they log in (and yeah, I used the QR code. Too cool! :)). OK, got it. Will just have to keep a copy somewhere. Maybe in a Rolodex under P for Password (Kidddding!). Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @3l3phant,

Happy to help!

Storing the Account Key somewhere secure is a good idea. You might find it handy to keep your 1Password account details stored inside a 1Password item. I know it sounds a bit weird to store a 1Password Login inside 1Password, but I have all my 1Password account details stored inside my primary vault, just in case. A little bit more secure than a Rolodex. ;)

This discussion has been closed.