Folder Mac 6.2

Mike147
Mike147
Community Member

I have a family account and Mac ver6.2 there appears to be no way to create a folder and I can't drag and drop items between categories?

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Osx 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:folders

Comments

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

This is currently a regression or a missing features. This will come in the future or not. We don't know.

• Hey @Mike147! That's correct. We recommend using tags instead of folders since you can apply more than one to an item, which can be very useful for organizing stuff. We don't plan to add folders support to Families. And there actually hasn't been a way to change an item's category. When would you use that? I'm curious because I've personally never needed to change an item's category since most of my items are Logins, and I have some Identities as well.

@Spinacle It's actually not a regression, just a different structure for things in Families.

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Not agreed @penderworth , it's really a regression like we used to use 1P with Folders and Smart Folders and if we decided to move on Family (as you advertised a lot), we loose this feature. Regression for me...

Do the test, use family vaults and 1P vaults into dropbox at the same time and displays all vaults), you can see that you cannot be able to manage your folders while it's an existing feature on local vault. Regression for me...

Call that like you want but still for me a regression and should not have been launch like that.

You said us to use tags, i already using them a lot and since a long time, but explain to me how you can save searches with multiple tags to be more efficient in a day to day without smart folders.

Don't think that i don't like 1P Family because i like it. I just don't agree with the speech you give us to cover some missing features

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member

I had been using a different password keeper and had to import all of my password via a cvs file which means they all ended up as Logins so I wanted to move them to the correct category.Thanks for the info on tags but when you go to the help page it still tells you about folders I think help needs to be updated.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2016

Hi @Mike147,

Folders still exist in our standalone products, but do not in 1Password for Families or 1Password for Teams. Perhaps the help page you were looking at was referring to one of our standalone products?

The category of items (e.x. Logins vs Secure Notes vs Identities) cannot be changed. To move an item from one category to another you would need to manually create a new item of the desired type and copy the details over. Alternatively, it is possible that the CSV file you have could be modified such that imported items were created as the correct category. Obviously you'd only want to go the latter route if you haven't already begun making changes within 1Password itself. (cc: @MrC )

@Spinacle,

1Password for Families is a brand new product (service), so I'm not really sure it would be fair to call the lack of folders a "regression" (there is nothing to regress from). But I see where you are coming from. At this time however, as Penderworth mentioned:

We don't plan to add folders support to Families.

We'd recommend using tags, yes. And hopefully we'll be able to add "saved searches" / "smart folders" in the future. Folders are not a prerequisite of such a feature.

Do the test, use family vaults and 1P vaults into dropbox at the same time and displays all vaults), you can see that you cannot be able to manage your folders while it's an existing feature on local vault. Regression for me...

To manage folders you need to be in the view for the vault that you want to manage. They cannot be managed from the "All Vaults" view.

Don't think that i don't like 1P Family because i like it. I just don't agree with the speech you give us to cover some missing features

Understood. We appreciate the feedback. As with anything we do, 1Password for Families is something we'll continue to iterate on and improve based on feedback like yours. Unfortunately I can't make any promises about the specific features you've requested, but we're definitely looking into saved searches / smart folders.

Thanks.

Ben

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben, hope to see in future smart folders / saved searches.

Still good to see your implication of all of you guys on this community

• Thanks @Ben, hope to see in future smart folders / saved searches.

You're welcome! Me too. :)

Still good to see your implication of all of you guys on this community

:+1:

Ben

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member

Thanks for your comments its good to see that someone takes the time to respond

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016

@Mike147,

Which password manager are you coming from?

Perhaps there is already a converter that will provide better results than you've achieved with CSV.

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member

It was password manager xp but i have moved all the records now via cvs file's and just making new entrees in the correct categories

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016

@Mike147,

Does it happen to export a category, tag, or folder name in its CSV export?

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member

It will export column name but in the end I had to re arrange the column order via excel to get it correct into the correct order for 1 password. I did try the import through a windows machine which gave me the option of selecting which column went were in 1 password but they still appeared in the wrong place once imported to 1 Password

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Mike147,

That makes sense. There is a general CSV converter in the converter suite that can be tailored to handle the extra information, but I'd need to know the format of your export to help you.

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member

I have already transferred everything to 1 Password that I need but is there away I can send you a copy of the cvs file it exports as this chat window will not allow me to send a file.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016

@Mike147,

The forum doesn't allow general attachments (it does support images).

I'd only be interested in the header row, if there is one, for the CSV, or if there isn't one, a sample CSV entry (with no private data) and a description of each column (if not completely obvious).

If you can take a screenshot of just that, you can post it here in a reply. If that doesn't work, you can email me (email removed).

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member

I have attached screen shot the title headers are configurable in Password Manager XP the screen shot is typical but say a email account would have more headers I attached another screen shot on next post

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member
  • MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Mike147,

Ok, those look like good headers. Do these different headers all reside in the same CSV file, or do you have to do separate exports?

A converter could be created for Password Manager XP, and would work based on its stock field names. I don't know anything about that password manager, so don't know if it has stock categories and stock field names. All the converters are based on stock entities, but can be customized to work for a user's setup. However, the customization is often more work than most users care to do.

If those are your own custom headers, or if there are no concepts of record categories in Password Manager XP, your work to customize a converter will be greater.

• Mike147
    Mike147
    Community Member

Yes you can customise the headers in XP per category so what I did was export the category that had most entrees correct the field positions in excel import them and then just made up new entrees in 1 password for the remaning. I think a import function based on the stock XP fields would have been useful then I would have got most of the information into 1 password and then move the password ,URL to the correct fields within 1 password.

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Another use case to add to give some points to get back smart folders ;)

I'm trying to maintain well my families vaults (mine, my wife's and daughter's vaults) meaning each items need at least one tag.
    But without smart folders, i can't find items without tags.

• terryrogers
    terryrogers
    Community Member

I would like to see folders and Smart folders added to 1Password for Family / Teams.

I used this heavily in the standalone products and feel a need now to migrate away from 1Password for Family's because of this.

Tags are great, but I would need at minimum saved search "folders" where I can one click to bring up say all my software that is is tagged as work and Microsoft for example.

It does feel like a regression, although I understand that as a new product it kinda isn't.

Would have expected a product to have mirrored your stand-alone products in terms of feature set.

Seems a few people have raised this in the forums.

• @Leon Guan @Spinacle @terryrogers Have you tried Search Options in 1Password for Mac? This feature is exclusive to the Mac app at this moment, and it has a very similar functionality to Smart Folders. To use them, click the search bar, click the magnifying glass, and click Show Search Options. Then you can do something like this:

Saving that search, though, isn't possible in Families or Teams quite yet. We may add that in the future. In the meantime, it is possible to run the same kind of query you would to find items without tags @Spinacle. :) You can even use the keyboard shortcut to bring up Search Options, which is Command Option Control F. I hope that helps, everyone!

• @Leon Guan That is certainly an option, but you may lose out on the early adopter benefits in that case. They are only available until April 14th.

Just to give a little background: the Smart Folders that we have in the standalone application are only present in 1Password for Mac. They don't exist in iOS, Android, or Windows. The reason being that the feature was created way back before we had those other apps, and we used Mac-only methods for developing it. It was never cross platform, and couldn't be made to be cross platform. This is the reason it hasn't (yet) been included with 1Password accounts. It'll require a full re-write to implement and be cross platform. That'll take a fair amount of development resources, and there are a lot of things vying for those resources.

I realize that doesn't help improve the situation any, but I hope it helps understand why this has not been done yet.

As for folders, they seem redundant. Tags are more flexible and serve the same purpose.

Ben

• Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the matter, @Leon Guan, and for signing up for 1Password for Families.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.