Permission Denied Importing from SplashID

rtoohil
rtoohil
Community Member

I'm using the trial version of the software, as I wanted to see if I could do a better import from SplashID before moving over to 1Password (have a few hundred items in SplashID over the years).

When I go to import the .vid from SplashID, it simply fails with no error. Checking the logs, I see this (with some info redacted):

4/5/16 10:16:04.409 AM 1Password 6[746]: 620012 [IMPORT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fcd2dbdca90):] E importFileAtURL:ofType:subtype: | Failed to read import data: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 "The file “backup.vid” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/path/to/backup.vid, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fcd2daea380 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "Permission denied"}}

Is this a limitation of the trial version?

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi rtoohil,

That shouldn't be a limitation in the trial. It sounds like the SplashID export was created on another computer, or possibly by another user account on the computer. It also could still be in use by Splash ID. Try quitting Splash ID first.

If that does not work, try this: Select the backup.vid in the Finder and choose Get Info from the File Menu (Cmd-I). I the Sharing & Permissions section, make sure you have Read & Write permissions for the file.

I hope that helps.

• rtoohil
    rtoohil
    Community Member

Thanks for the thoughts, but none of that works.

Same computer, I've chmod'd the file to be world accessible (777), and quit SplashID. Same problem somehow.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016

@rtoohil, @chadseld ,

The 1Password splashid importer is not working correctly.

Try using the splashid converter in the converter suite instead.

• ag_kevin
    edited April 2016

Hi rtoohil,

I see you also emailed us, and replied there, that you were able to import using MrC's converter suite. We're doing some import testing and will watch out for this issue.

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: LBC-49895-111

• crisrich58
    crisrich58
    Community Member

Tnank you very much for creating that import tool @MrC ! I've been using SplashID for many years, nearly since the first version of it, and over the years tried MANY times to export the data I had put into it. It NEVER worked. Even exporting to a csv file to read it in Excel. I always suspected that the developers don't really want people to be able to export the data and thus move more easily to a competeing product.

@ag_kevin : 1Password still is not able to import data from a SplashID csv file. If I add a password before exporting, 1Password imports all the items but all of the data is garbled, useless text. Shouldn't your importer ask for the password before starting the decription/import process? When I exported the data without a password, 1Password did nothing after I selected the csv file. It didn't freeze but also nothing happened at all.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016

Hello @crisrich58,

You're welcome!

It isn't a surprise to me that spreadsheets have a little trouble with SplashID's export format, as it is not CSV. While the rows after their non-CSV text (their preamble), can be thought of as following the CSV conventions, the file as a whole is a collection of items. And even each CSV-ish row varies, having either 15 or 29 items. So, this violates a few CSV rules, and CSV reading software has to take into account that there are many incorrect CSV writers that violate the rules even worse, creating ambiguous "csv".

1Password cannot handle the password-encrypted SplashID export, because they do not have/know the magic mathematical formula that takes your password as input and decrypts the encrypted .VID file.

• crisrich58
    crisrich58
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Thank you for the info @MrC .

It seems that both SplashID and agilebits are cheating with the import/export part of their advertising :chuffed: (or :angry: )

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016

@crisrich58 ,

AgileBits does not rely on the inability of CSV to express the exported data, and advises users to use the lossless 1PIF format for such things.

SplashID calls it a "VID", not CSV.

At the end of the day, your data is in the file, albeit difficult for users to understand. There really cannot be a universal export / import "semantically meaningful" file format.

• Hi @crisrich58 ,

When you add a password, SplashID encrypts it. I don't believe they publish their format so we are not able to write an importer to decrypt their data. But without a password, it should be able to import it and we will be looking into fixing that. 1Password can import many SplashID files but there are some cases where it currently does not recognize the format. We are keeping track of these issues and do hope to be able to fix them soon. Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention, and I'm so glad MrC was able to help you out!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• 1poster
    1poster
    Community Member

Had a similar problem with different cause. On trying to import a .vid, 1Password's log showed

Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=261 "The file “pm_export.vid” couldn’t be opened using text encoding Unicode (UTF-8).”

I opened the file in TextWrangler, which detected the encoding as Western (Mac OS Roman). Switched to UTF-8, saved, and then 1Password imported okay.

That said, I’m glad I found this thread and got referred to MrC’s importer. It did a much better job handling metadata.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@1poster,

Glad you go that worked out. And thanks for the nice comment on the converter suite.

You may enjoy my comments in the splashid converter:

# Encoding is done using the MacRoman encoding scheme, even on Windows.  Neither the SplashID Windows app as of
    # version 7.2.4 (April 2014), nor the Web App, shows the correct decoding; the Windows app botches the characters,
    # and the web app seems to suppress output altogether.  Furthermore, it seems encoding switches on a row-by-row basis.
    #
    # XXX: yuck - see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/153882/#Comment_153882

• 1poster
    1poster
    Community Member

Lol I saw that. Praise to you for the --modified CLI option btw, I know preserving modification dates is going to be useful in the long term.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad MrC's converter suite was helpful for you! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.