Missing share options in OS X

jeraymond
jeraymond
Community Member

In 1Password for OS X version 6.2 when I click the share icon (box with the arrow coming out of it) I only see options to AirDrop or Print. There used to be options to share via messages or email etc. Were these options removed?

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@jeraymond yes, they were removed. See this detailed AgileBits' post in the Mac beta forum for an explanation (and the remainder of that thread).

Stephen

• Hi @jeraymond,

As Stephen mentioned, Jeff wrote a post about why that feature has been removed. I hope it answers your questions. If not, let us know and we'll do our best.

Rick

• jeraymond
    jeraymond
    Community Member

I read the post. Seems like more of a play to get users to use the subscription based Teams or Family plans for recurring revenue to me. After spending money previously on the stand alone versions for Mac and Pro versions on iOS I'm not about to start spending another $5/mo to share a few passwords. So disappointed.

• Hi @jeraymond ,

I can say with 100% certainty that it is not a play to get users to use the subscription based Teams or Family plans. We're confident in the functionality that Teams and Families provides that it hasn't even crossed our minds to resort to removing functionality for that reason. As we have stated, for those that don't require the extra functionality of Teams and Families, we still plan on supporting the standalone versions of 1Password.

Consider this scenario. You share an item via Messages. You assume it is secure because Messages is a relatively secure platform. But if iCloud or your Internet connection is having some trouble that day, and Messages reverts to SMS. Your item, that you assumed was being sent securely, was just sent, in the clear, over SMS. This is one of many scenarios we do not want our customers to have happen to them. The Share menu is very convenient, but that convenience has drawbacks that can easily lead to your data being sent insecurely and it can lead to customers assuming it is was sent securely.

Now, this doesn't mean you can no longer email or send an item. You can still export the item to a .1pif file, which again, is not encrypted. And the app does warn of that when you export. Once it's saved to a 1pif file you can send it in Messages or Email. It is a little less inconvenient, but this process does a better job of making the customer aware of the potential risk of sending items.

It also doesn't mean that you'll never see the feature return. It just means that we do not want to offer it in its current form, given the risks it contains.

I hope we have alleviated your concerns. We're happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Regards,
    Kevin

• ALyons
    ALyons
    Community Member

Share via email or messages is no longer an option for me. Print and Airdrop are still there. Did these features get removed or is this a bug?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2 (620012) AgileBits Store
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• jeraymond
    jeraymond
    Community Member

Is it possible to export this way on iOS as well? I didn't see the option there to export as a 1pif file.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@ALyons the answer to your question is "yes". Please see this AgileBits' post in the Mac Beta forum for the explanation.

Edit: there was a very recent thread here on the same subject so I've merged your post with it to keep things tidy.

Stephen

• @jeraymond,

At present 1Password for iOS cannot export. The exporting would need to be done from 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• jeraymond
    jeraymond
    Community Member

I see sharing via email and iMessage functionality has returned. Much better.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jeraymond, I'm glad to hear that you'r happy and enjoying email and iMessage sharing now that they're back! Remember to be safe when you use it :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.