1password 6.2 forgot the license key (shows trial expired)

vortex
vortex
Community Member

After upgrading from 6.1 to 6.2 on my MacBook (El Captain), I received information that my software trial has expired. I have been proud user since 2012, the worst thing is that I cannot retrieve the license key...please help.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX El Captain
Sync Type: DB, Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6.2 forgot the license key

Comments

• Hi @vortex,

I'm sorry that the license did not go through. Did you restore data or clean up some files around that time? That could explain why it forgot the license.

There are instructions to re-add your license here: https://support.1password.com/trial-expired/
    Scroll down to the section "If you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store."

If you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• dpdannemiller
    dpdannemiller
    Community Member

I have a work Mac (running 10.10.5) and a home Mac (running 10.11.4). 1Password 6.2 broke the license on my work Mac. I was no longer syncing through DropBox, which very much concerned me. 1Password is nice, but the upgrade is pricey. I would not have upgraded to version 6 had I known that I would be required to purchase another license. I've paid for a new license, but it felt forced. Sure would have been nice to see a BIG warning about this when the "want to upgrade" dialog was displayed.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dpdannemiller,

Do you still have access to your old licence and the email address it is registered to?

• dpdannemiller
    dpdannemiller
    Community Member

I still have the original email with the license key. It didn't work on my work Mac. I used the "re-send the license" capability, and that one didn't work either. When I say "didn't work", The "Trial Expired" message did not go away, and "Licenses ..." didn't show a license. The new license I purchased worked.

My original license was for 1Password version 4. AgileBits license policy is explained here:

https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

I may have known their policy when I purchased the original license, but that was a while ago. Clearly they lived up to their end of the bargain. My suggestion is that the "want to upgrade" dialog be more explicit about the need to purchase another license.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dpdannemiller,

When I managed to follow the trial backwards in our records I found your original purchase was made in 2013 for 1Password 3 for Mac but we also upgraded all purchases made in 2013 so those people got the 1Password 4 for free. As 1Password 5 and 6 have both been free to all existing 1Password 4 users you shouldn't have needed to purchase a new licence. I've just tested it and your previous licence is working as expected so we need to sort this out and get you a refund.

In a moment I'm going to resend you your old licence. The email should contain details on what to do but the essential bit is there should be a download link. When you click this it should download your licence file to your Downloads folder on your Mac. If 1Password doesn't react unlock your vault (if require) and then try either double clicking on the licence file or dragging it into 1Password 6 for Mac. If you don't see a download link please let us know but you want to ignore the licence key - that's only for 1Password 3 for Mac.

The next bit is important. Quit both 1Password and 1Password mini by using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q. Then launch 1Password again. Check to see which licence is being used by using the menu option 1Password 6 > Licence.... Does the Purchased date show a date in 2013? If it does we've successfully moved you back to your previous licence and once I know that has happened I'll refund the purchase you made and disable that licence.

• dpdannemiller
    dpdannemiller
    Community Member

I followed your instruction with success. Both Mac (work and home) now show licenses with purchase dates in 2013. Thanks for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @dpdannemiller,

Given you've reported that you've got 1Password for Mac showing you your original licence I've refunded your second purchase. I believe it takes a few business days to see it appear on your statement but you should see it by the end of the week at a guess. I'm glad we could help sort this out for you :smile:

If you have any other questions at all please do ask.

• dpdannemiller
    dpdannemiller
    Community Member

Refund received. Thanks very much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.