Filling a login in a dropdown link

Options

Hi,

I'm not sure if this question has been answered because I've had a hard time figuring out what to search for, but so far I haven't found anything that addresses this specific issue.

My problem occurs on a particular website login: tiaa.org

When navigating to this website, you have to hover your mouse over the "Login" link on the upper right of the webpage, which makes the login form dropdown like a menu. However, once you then try to click on the 1Password Chrome Browser Extension to fill the login, the Login dropdown disappears. Clicking the appropriate login to fill it doesn't do anything when the dropdown isn't visible. Similarly, if I manually fill in the login and then try to save it manually as a new login, again the dropdown menu disappears so it doesn't even try to save anything.

Thanks!

Ty

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @the_jazzman17,

I'm sorry you're having trouble using 1Password to fill your login details on that site. Thank you for including the URL, it really helps to be able to try it out ourselves! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

You're right, the way that pop-up sign-in form works certainly makes it tricky to use. However, when I saved a test Login item from that site, then refreshed it to clear the sign-in form, the 1Password extension was able to fill the User ID and Password fields as expected. To be clear, the sign-in form disappeared when I did that, but after choosing the Login item from the 1Password extension, I opened that pop-up form again, and this time the fields were filled in. When you choose the Login item and then check that form again, is it still empty?

If 1Password definitely doesn't fill those fields for you like it did for me, you can try saving a new Login item. It's a little tricky because of the way that form works, but I was able to do it by keeping my mouse over the 'Log In' button and using keyboard shortcuts to get the 'Save Login' prompt to appear. Here are the steps to do that:

• Go to tiaa.org and bring up the sign-in form like usual.
    • Enter your username & password into the fields, but do not submit the form.
    • While the form is still visible, use ⌥⌘\ ( Option+Command+\ ) to open 1Password mini.
    • Use ⌘, ( Command+, ) to open the gear/settings submenu.
    • Use ⌘N ( Command+N ) to choose 'Save new Login'.

At this point, you should see the Save Login window. Make sure you edit the title to make it easy to tell it apart from the old one, then save it. If you use the new Login item on that site, then check the pop-up window/form, is it filled?

If you're still having trouble with that, I found an alternate sign-in page on that site which should work much better: https://publictools.tiaa-cref.org/public/authentication/securelogin

Just save a new Login item from that site, and 1Password should be able to fill it properly.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• the_jazzman17
    the_jazzman17
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Drew_AG !

Creating a new login fixed the issue on the initial site. I had tried to do that myself, but as you noted, it's a bit tricky to do without moving the mouse. Thanks for giving me the keyboard shortcuts for each step! I couldn't figure out how to do it myself. I appreciate it.

Ty

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! I'm glad that helped, thanks for following up to confirm a new Login item solved the problem. If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.